New Quartscape mottling

drpookieMD

Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
New here and new to pools but this forum has been an invaluable resource. I'm currently deep in a rabbit hole and really apprecaite any insight from the experts here.
I built a new 10x15 plunge pool the past few months, have done it all myself and planned to tile it and be done, but decided to go with NPT Quartz instead.
Regretting that decision, I am 7 days out from having it applied and I have some real mottling issues. Fighting high pH and low Ca daily, as expected but keeping it balanced mostly.
There has been a lot of plaster dust and today I finally got annoyed enough to go at it with my shop vac and though each pass with the brush required emptying the vac of water I made a good dent in it.
But my problem is this mottling. Brushing daily (2 to 3x) but cant catch all the nooks and crannies and thus I have some light areas some dark, and many that are just mottled despite brushing. Walls are worse than floor, and edges not too great.
I am assuming its calcium, after doing the research. I can brush some of it off with aggresive nylon brushing, 120 grit sand paper seems to do well with some spots. Some of it wont budge.
The guys that applied it are telling me to hit it with 12 gallons of acid as a no-drain solution, but at 5600 gallons total I know thats going to cause a whole new set of problems for me. And that seems like a lot of acid..
I am the PB and owner, so it is on me to figure out for better or worse lol.
I am on the fence, trying to decide whether to do a no-drain wash (with less acid, hate to ruin the heater element) versus drain and acid wash versus drain and pressure wash. I sure appreciate any advice. I am a family doctor but was a home builder in my previous life and not averse to a little more elbow grease at this point, just hate to go in the wrong direction..
The empty pic is right afer they applied and acid washed and I was filling it. Thanks much!

Attachments

• IMG_3144 (1).jpg
    IMG_3144 (1).jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3051.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to TFP.

I would just accept that your plaster has character.

I would not give it an acid bath.

If you want to try something then sand the plaster with a power sander with diamond sanding pads and see if there is a uniform color under the surface.

Let's see what thoughts @onBalance has.

Reactions: kimkats
Allen has given you some good advice.
Twelve gallons of acid is way too much acid, and will certainly do significant damage to your finish.
It would be much better to power sand your pool.
You might less us know what the water readings (pH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness) for both your pool and your tap water that was used to fill the pool.

Thanks both you guys,
pH I have at 7.6 but it creeps up so I push it back down. AK is around 80-120 depending. Calcium has been hanging at 150-200. My well water is 7.5, 100 and very soft
There is a great surface albeit with a touch less aggregate than I was hoping for, below the calcium. I can brush / sand down to see it.
Thanks for the confirmation about that muich acid, it sounded crazy. I am going to try a no drain wash/scrub and if no luck will drain it and sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.