Getting rid of pool store.....help

Good job so far! Don't worry, I had to read it 30 or 40 times and do it a few times before it started making sense. Definitely use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach to add. in the beginning testing and adding every 2-3 hours will speed the process along. And yes 20ppm is your target shock level.

Keep reading and asking questions and your pool will be clean and clear in no time. :goodjob:

We are starting to slam!!!! I have the pH up to 7.2 & just added more borax to get it to 7.4, but i have a little problem....when we back washed the pool the water level is down & there is very little water going in it. Should we add water or just shut that skimmer off??? I'm afraid if we add water its going to throw all of our numbers off!! What should we do????

We are starting to slam!!!! I have the pH up to 7.2 & just added more borax to get it to 7.4, but i have a little problem....when we back washed the pool the water level is down & there is very little water going in it. Should we add water or just shut that skimmer off??? I'm afraid if we add water its going to throw all of our numbers off!! What should we do????

Add water. You need to run the pump while SLAMMING. The amount of water will only affect the levels slightly.

In your first post you listed a CYA of 54. The tests we recommend don't give numbers of that level of accuracy. Where did you get that number? It couldn't have gone from 50 down to zero that quickly.

No, it wasn't cloudy at all!

- - - Updated - - -

It was almost halfway between 50 & 60.

- - - Updated - - -

The water has white stuff floating all over the top of the water--is this normal?

White stuff is either dead algae or pollen.

I was asking if the water in the CYA test was cloudy? Or You did the CYA test and got between 50 and 60?

I am confused.

Anyway, be sure to maintain you chlorine level according to your CYA level on this chart, Chlorine CYA Chart. Don't let FC drop below the minimum or algae will start growing.

Sorry, I replied to 2 different people & all my answers posted together!! The water in the CYA test is not cloudy. Someone else asked how I got 54 reading on my CYA test before & I was explaining that it was between 50 & 60. CYA is not registering now tho. My FC never got to 20 and I had to go to bed last night. I added anywhere from 6 to 8 gallons every hour & it never got above 4. Should I just keep adding bleach? The water is more cloudy than it was at the start. I just wanna make sure this is normal! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any idea why CYA is not registering now? It is possible that the CYA was converted to ammonia which would make your chlorine consumption high for a while. If you are sure there is no CYA in the pool then you should add 30ppm.

You should continue SLAMing Your Pool your pool until you pass all three tests.

ok---day 3 & I'm just about done!!! I'm so irritated & frustrated that nothing is changed & honestly I think it's worse!!! I now have yellow stuff floating on top of the pool-(not pollen, we are way past pollen season) My FC is now at .4, which the highest I ever got was 4.0!! CYA isn't registering at all now & my pH has now dropped to 7.0. I had a long weekend & devoted my whole weekend to testing & adding every hour. I put in over 90 jugs of bleach & nothing!! I have to go back to work tomorrow so everything I did the last 3 days is wasted!!! I'm at a total loss & don't know what I'm doing wrong!!!

Ammonia takes a whole lot of chlorine to get rid of. Since you showed ammonia earlier that is probably what is happening. The CYA you had in the pool (When it showed between 50-60 after adding the powder from the pool store) may have also converted to ammonia. You're probably fighting the ammonia right now.

Run your ammonia test again and see where that level is.

Bleach is getting rid of the ammonia but it's a big fight and requires a lot of bleach. Once the ammonia is taken care of the bleach will start to actually hold and show you some FC instead of you having to constantly add more it will start to hold and you'll be able to stop adding it so often.

I don't think what you've done will be wasted. The ammonia doesn't "grow" like algae so all the bleach you've put in should be knocking it down with every addition especially if you have no CYA showing on your test..there's nothing to be converted to new ammonia so hopefully you're almost to the end of the ammonia fight.

FC is at 1.0 & has stayed there the last 2x I've checked it. I entered 1.0 with a goal of 20 on the pool calculator & each time it says to add 7 jugs of bleach. I've done that & its not changing --- I can't even imagine how I will ever get to 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at a total loss & I have to go to work tomorrow so I can't do anything to the pool all day!!! My ammonia tested at 0 also. No idea what to do from here! Pool math says to add another 7 jugs of bleach :brickwall:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.