For those in the North, when do you open?

Usually in ND we open end of April. Not this year. We are expecting a foot, yes folks, I said a foot of snow tomorrow. Looks to me like it will be mid May before we open up. Pool is still frozen solid so until mother nature decides to stop kicking our butts, it looks like a late opening here. Last year I opened on 4/15. Funny what a year makes.

Looking forward to warm weather soon! Good luck to you all this pool season!

I opened my 24' above ground yesterday. Not by choice though. The cover kept falling off over winter so the last time it did, I left it. Water temp is 50. With a few really warm days ahead, I hope to get the temp up to 60 and maybe turn the heater on then hahah.

For those of you folks stating you open later in the May time frame, with the pool covered, what do you expect FC level to be at when you open? I'm curious because I would still have 2 months before we could use it so opening this early would be just spending money with no benefit.

I didn't have a cover, this is my first over-winter with a filled pool and our cover ripped to shreds when hurricane Sandy blew through. Thus, it wasn't covered all winter. I still have things to buy for the pool like a good winter cover, sand filter, solar cover, better vacuum, but my wife rolling her car on it's roof with 1 payment left on the loan negated pretty much all of my pool supply buying power.

I've been hoping for some good rain to get me filled back up to the skimmer. Last week was good and it got me right up to the skimmer port (Intex with stock skimmer port) but not enough to get the pump going. Yesterday's possible record high of 82° was too much for the pool and now I see algae starting to grow and float around. I can't vacuum the little debris I have nor run the pump to circulate the water until I have another maybe inch and a half of water.

So, I was curious, if I had it covered the whole winter, how much chlorine would be in the pool around this time of year. Obviously, I took the water to shock level to close. It looked great until yesterday aside from some debris in the bottom (blown in leaves, but not much as we don't have leaves around the pool. Mainly blown from Sandy.)

Anyone open in Michigan yet? Had a couple days in the 80's and now it's going to be in the 70s!
I am replacing my D.E filter this weekend (same model) and got a brand new solar cover I can't wait to get on...
I might end up opening this weekend!..
Hopefully my TF-100 gets here tomorrow =P

We live in Detroit, and have not yet opened, but seriously considering it this weekend but for sure by next weekend. The pool water is 60 degrees now. Last year we opened mid May and it took a week to get the water swimable (the ducks got to swim before we did, they were ruining the OCLT results until I caught them). :hammer:
At present, getting all my "ducks" in a row as prep for pool opening. :whip: :stirpot:

ian81 said:
Anyone open in Michigan yet? Had a couple days in the 80's and now it's going to be in the 70s!
I am replacing my D.E filter this weekend (same model) and got a brand new solar cover I can't wait to get on...
I might end up opening this weekend!..
Hopefully my TF-100 gets here tomorrow =P

I'm pumping off water from winter cover as I type up here in mid-Michigan. Water delivery next week and ordering my test kit today to begin my BBB adventure this year!

We will be opening during next week. This weekend is pretty full of activities. Water is low 60's and temps in the 70's. :sun:
Got my TF-100 replacement testers and just finishing up cleaning zeo, new hose and stocking up on chlorine. :whoot:

Swimming soon with heater. :snorkle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hooked up all the plumbing last week. Looks like no chance of freezing from here on out. Winter cover stays on for a few more weeks. Water is crystal clear under the cover, so I can circulate and dose once a week to keep it that way. Meanwhile I can tackle a few equipment repair issues before I pull the cover off and vacuum for swimming.

I opened yesterday! Having some people over for Mother's day so thought things would look so much nicer looking out at the water rather than the dirty cover. I replaced my pump and am still a novice, so that was a bit of an adventure getting it integrated into the current plumbing and finding the correct union, etc. There are some very minor leaks here and there and I still need to come up with a better location and plumbing set up, but things are operational.

This was my first time opening my pool and water was totally clear when I removed the cover thanks to BBB! Surprisingly my FC measured 5.5 after topping off the last 12 inches or so and the fill water only measured 1 ppm so not a lot of FC consumption over the winter.

Pauls234 said:
I opened yesterday! Having some people over for Mother's day so thought things would look so much nicer looking out at the water rather than the dirty cover. I replaced my pump and am still a novice, so that was a bit of an adventure getting it integrated into the current plumbing and finding the correct union, etc. There are some very minor leaks here and there and I still need to come up with a better location and plumbing set up, but things are operational.

This was my first time opening my pool and water was totally clear when I removed the cover thanks to BBB! Surprisingly my FC measured 5.5 after topping off the last 12 inches or so and the fill water only measured 1 ppm so not a lot of FC consumption over the winter.

What's the water temp? :goodjob:

Opened today at 53°F. Crystal clear, but FC=0 and CYA <20. Hit it with LC to FC=12 and threw in a floater full of pucks. I will stick with pucks until CYA=25-30. I know I won't get algae as I do this every year and never had a problem. Not worried about sanitizer levels either as nobody will go in until it warms to at least 70°F and by then CYA will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.