Thinking of Opening Myself for the First Time…

We have had our pool for over 10 years (been using TFP method for maintenance for over 8 years) and have always had pool company open and close our pool (live in Missouri). This year our pool company tells me they can’t get us on the calendar for opening until JUNE! I’m thinking of trying to open it myself for the first time. Can anyone explain the process to me step by step (I’m not very handy so feel free to dumb it down as much as possible). I understand all the TFP chemical stuff for start up once the pool is physically open, it’s just the process from cover off to pump/filter on and functioning that I’m in the dark about. Thanks in advance!

We have had our pool for over 10 years (been using TFP method for maintenance for over 8 years) and have always had pool company open and close our pool (live in Missouri). This year our pool company tells me they can’t get us on the calendar for opening until JUNE! I’m thinking of trying to open it myself for the first time. Can anyone explain the process to me step by step (I’m not very handy so feel free to dumb it down as much as possible). I understand all the TFP chemical stuff for start up once the pool is physically open, it’s just the process from cover off to pump/filter on and functioning that I’m in the dark about. Thanks in advance!
I have been opening my fiberglass pool by myself every year since it was installed. I pull the cover and let it dry on the lawn. I put the cell back on the plumbing and tighten the fittings around the manifold and pump. Pull the plugs from the returns and the gizmo from the skimmer. Put the plugs back on the pump and fill the suction line full of water and prime the pump. It's easier than closing and goes a lot faster!

Post some pics of the equipment, the pool and anything else you feel is relevant. (y)

We walk several through their first rodeo each year. 90% of it is getting in your own way, being worried you'll screw something up. Once you get over that, it's stupid easy.

We'll help. Let's see them pics and we'll hatch a plan.

Reactions: Diane e
Post some pics of the equipment, the pool and anything else you feel is relevant. (y)

We walk several through their first rodeo each year. 90% of it is getting in your own way, being worried you'll screw something up. Once you get over that, it's stupid easy.

We'll help. Let's see them pics and we'll hatch a plan.
For sure. It’s not as difficult as you would think and pics will help a lot to craft the “battle plan”. 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok here goes.

1) pump cover so none of that dumps in the pool

2) remove cover with cover tool. A cut Allen key or a backwards impact gun bit make quick work of the anchors with a cordless drill. I just zipped the anchors out and didn't use the pry bar.

2) lay cover out to dry. I do 2 hours per side.

3) remove gizzmos and return plugs. Reinstall eyeballs.

4) reinstall drain plugs to equipment (probably in pump basket)

5) open all valves

6) fill pump basket to inlet pipe height with water

7).turn on pool panel breakers and maybe even house panel breakers if those were turned off too.

7) let er rip.

*allow full 24 hours mixing before you trust the CH, salt or CYA.

FC and PH can be adjusted after 15 mins.

With the exception of manhandling the cover, the rest is literally hand screwing things in/out and flipping switches or valves.