closing with polyquat?

Jonsstihl

Sep 2, 2021
Quebec, canada
I had two years straight of opening my pool to a green pea soup and was wondering what I"m doing wrong.

first year opened to a clear pool and I would say it was the year I was learning so may not have done everything right but I wasn't expecting my second and third years to be green.

I close when water temp is below 60 and open as soon as the ice melts I slam FC before closing and in the spring I have no FC and my water is clear but I have a little green algae in spots and there appears to be dust and dead algae on the bottom. I can see the bottom. as soon as i start the pump water turns to pea soup and I can't see the bottom anymore. I have slammed and the water is clear now. this has happened the last two years. But I would like to open to a clear pool next year.

we are up north so I can't really add FC during the winter. I have a leaf net I put on but I take it off when I close because of snow loads which would just tear a cover up. I drain approximately 18 inches below the skimmer and by spring water is up to the bottom of the skimmer and I just hook everything up and fill the last 4 or 5 inches and test and balance the water.

I was wondering if polyquat would help. I'm finding a bunch of old threads but not much new stuff.

If the water is clear until you turn the pump on, os there perhaps water in the equipment that needs to be cleaned/drained before winter?

I think I will try it. All the pool equipment gets drained (filter) / brought inside (Pump) for the winter due to freezing temps. the water is actually crystal clear when the ice melts but I can see sediment and a light green haze on the bottom. The first time it happened last year I just thought I would vacuum when I started the pool so I didn't even have any chlorine on hand when I started the pump. I think turning the pump on just stirred up all the sediment and algae. I did find the algaecide article on pool school and it was helpful in describing how to use it. Its ironic because the first closing I pretty much didn't really know what I was doing and that was the best opening. I got the pool in august 2021 so I barely got used to it before closing and that was the best opening,

this year the ice melted early april and I waited one week and the water temp was already up to 58 degrees so it climbs fast with the sun coming out more.