Fixing to start slam

Ok im a little confused about something...In my spare time, i try and read as much as I can on this forum to further educate myself, and really try and catch up on forums that have pertained to me..I just came across on where if you are trying to kill mustard algae, my levels need to be even higher than the cya/chart indicates for FC SHOCK LEVEL..Ive been targeting in the mid to upper 20's, but when I came across a diff chart for mustard algae, I should be in the mid to upper 30's according to my cya...Have ive been doing it incorrectly all week? I havnt been able to see how the pool looks today after removing stairs and massive clean...Still dark at 4:30am, but FC was 25...Added bleach anyways

You are doing everything correctly by maintaining the normal SLAM/Shock value on the chart based on your CYA. That doesn't change, even if someone has mustard algae (which in most cases it's not). For true cases of MA, the FC is increased only AFTER passing the regular SLAM level criteria, and even then only increased for 24 hours. I wouldn't worry about that and press-on with your normal SLAM.

well get home hoping to see some improvement, but this is all throughout the pool..my fc was about 30 this morning, but now its 20, and yes because of algae and low 90's today...my question is, do I need to vacuum that up first, or let the bleach do its job and brush it at same time? or vacuum and wait til evening to raise fc level?

Brushing and vacuuming are very important. They not only break-up the organic material, but help to increase water circulation. The bleach will have a better opportunity you sanitize as well. As time goes on, make sure to validate the CYA once a week or so to ensure it hasn't dropped too much from any backwashes. By the same token, do the CYA outside under that bright sunlight to ensure you're getting the correct CYA reading. You always want to verify your FC is at the proper level for your CYA. Hang in there!

ok ill check my cya again....I know a few days ago it was 50-55 avg after several back n forths....was going to start on stairs, but looks like actual pool needs first dibs...don't want to put stairs back in if algae still a problem....

That is the DEAD algae.......sweet sight! It is all of the stuff you killed last night and today. Well your chlorine killed it LOL.

I would add your FC to your SLAM level and vacuum up the dead algae. Follow up by a good brushing on the walls and any where you did not vacuum on the bottom.

No picture of buckets :( LOL

Has anyone told you about filling PVC pipe with cement and capping it? It would take several but I think they would be easier to keep clean. I worry about the lip of the bucket being a good hiding place for algae from the chlorine.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The easiest way to post lots of pics is to create a Photobucket account, upload pics, copy IMG code to right of pic amd paste it in your post.

Sounds like there is some bacteria converting your CYA to ammonia. It is usually very rare but something about spring this year it is more prevalent. Keep testing and raising FC to Shock level. A few times in the evening if you can. Every 30 min or so.

What a pretty blue bucket. Neat idea for sure. Easy to do and get in and out.

Let us know how the FC tests goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Dead algae can be gray or brownish. It will take a couple/few days to kill all of the algae the steps were hiding. It should get less and less.

Yes, im so glad the fine ppl on here suggested the 5ml idea, for I too am going through reagent like crazy during this ordeal....FYI!!!!!!!!!! Watch out for bleach splashing back up when pouring into the pool. Nothing like 4am slamming your pool, and a big ole splash of bleach comes right back up into your eye..This happened to me this morning, so ruined a new pair of contacts, and now I have burning eyes and total bloodshot...That did not feel good at all..

So when my stairs are ready to go back in from a deep clean, do I need to wait until I see nomore live/dead algae popping up at bottom of the pool...Really would like to swim this weekend considering the water is finally warm enough due to the 90's this week..Dont want to put them back in, if in case im dealing with live algae still..Yes im asking for my cake and eat it too..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.