Fixing to start slam

woke up and tested the chlorine and im still reading a 25 fc level....I do still get a very very light shade of pink when I add the r0003, so I put one drop of the 0871 and it goes back to clear.....im testing based on the 5ml mark....just curious though, if I had bad algae, wouldn't that number have come down? assuming a lot?

woke up and tested the chlorine and im still reading a 25 fc level....I do still get a very very light shade of pink when I add the r0003, so I put one drop of the 0871 and it goes back to clear.....im testing based on the 5ml mark....just curious though, if I had bad algae, wouldn't that number have come down? assuming a lot?
The 5 ml sample isn't all that precise. It's good enough to dose, since all you're worried about is having high FC. It doesn't really matter much if you're at 23 or 27; you're up there.

You replaced a whole bunch of water, and you added a whole bunch of bleach, so you could well have killed off 95% of the algae that was left. How does the water look? Is it still green? Is it grey and cloudy? Is it clear?

Getting a good kill is pretty quick. Lots of people manage to do it with just a one-time megadose -- a pool-store "shock". It's killing every last bit so it doesn't come back (The weakness of the pool store method, but it keeps you coming back) and filtering out the dead stuff that takes so long.

Don't let up. Like most things in life, the first 90% takes 10% of the time, the last 10% takes 90% of the time, which is why so many projects remain unfinished.

My water is very clear, but with a very slight haze..ill try and post pics again of a spot that shows the algae...again, my blooms are very sparse, and only in certain (same areas)..I will be vacuuming the pool after I mow, then test again since the sun is beaming already this morning

well its not allowing me to upload anymore pics...ill have to play with it...says don't have enough storage space....

- - - Updated - - -

and to go back to what the water looked like, my water has been very clear all year long...you can always see a dime at the bottom with no problem...only slight haze when I brush, and the little poof of clouds when scrubbing the mustard spots...but over all, my water has looked great....that's why the algae problem kept me puzzled

done finishing the yard, so I cleaned the pool and backwashed...ran my test, and I was down from 25 this morning all the way to 15 using 5ml sect...added 150oz of bleach...I do have a question for upcoming week...I work from 4am to 4pm so no test can be run except b4 I leave for work...can test when I get home...is that too long of a stretch in the heat? is that going to mess up my slam?

It will not mess up your SLAM. It will slow it down some but that is real life---work to pay for the pool :( So I see three times for you to test and dose:

-after first cup of coffee in the morning

-when you get home and take off your work clothes (try to brush at this time)

-before you go to bed

That is three. Ideal? nope. Will it work? yep

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jump in!

It is safe to swim when
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
Water is clear

We swam every day for 2 weeks or so last summer while SLAMing with CYA at 70 and FC at 28. Our algae last summer was the same as yours, just a little here and there, water clear and CC 0. But, OCLT was always above 1 and SWG could not keep up. So, use the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) as your main tool for checking to see if there is still algae.

No, not really "had to", but I always err on the side of more chlorine not less. It might have been a little over a week. Besides, once the pool is clear and the algae is almost dead it will only use a little more chlorine than normal at shock level. It's not like you have to add 10 jugs a day. Just add enough to get it back to shock level. Piece o cake! :)

You know the saying an ounce of bleach prevents a pound of algae! :mrgreen:

Even tho it was hot today, that water hurt..lol...well I just did another test at 5ml mark

FC-27
Still have to add one drop of 871 after the r0003...

also already see the usual spots popping up with algae....I was for sure at 27 (knowing not precise at 5ml) that the algae would turn a white color at least...aggravating!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.