Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Friends

Opened this afternoon and while vigorously brushing the sides, a bit of concrete flaked off.
Can you guys recommend a product (epoxy?) that I could use to protect this area?

AP1GczNgqTHGgnLgmFgrHL8K4FJ0qaF5XpLnhVKWC556y_CYSsbJohJ1BJzPPc3zqAMSsmvkuX143jCol65K_a0v9RmGyEgOr98zJT7pwaPGe_v6UeTOBDp6=w2400

Protect the area from what?

It is just more exposed concrete.

Start saving up to eventually replace your coping that is crumbling.

Friends

Opened this afternoon and while vigorously brushing the sides, a bit of concrete flaked off.
Can you guys recommend a product (epoxy?) that I could use to protect this area?

AP1GczNgqTHGgnLgmFgrHL8K4FJ0qaF5XpLnhVKWC556y_CYSsbJohJ1BJzPPc3zqAMSsmvkuX143jCol65K_a0v9RmGyEgOr98zJT7pwaPGe_v6UeTOBDp6=w2400
Looks like no expansion joint on top of the fiberglass. Is this a cantilever style deck?

Bperry, not sure what a cantilever style deck is but I think so. It was built were the concrete was poured slightly above the edge of the pool and retained with 2x4s and metal wires through the mold (if that makes sense). Then the wires were cut, 2x4s and mold removed.

Allen, just from further damage/ erosion since not protected from the salt ( I assumed).

Bperry, not sure what a cantilever style deck is but I think so. It was built were the concrete was poured slightly above the edge of the pool and retained with 2x4s and metal wires through the mold (if that makes sense). Then the wires were cut, 2x4s and mold removed.

Allen, just from further damage/ erosion since not protected from the salt ( I assumed).
If the concrete decking is one big slab above the pool it’s a cantilever style deck, there should be a small gap between the fiberglass joint and the concrete so as the concrete expands and contracts differently than the fiberglass, you don’t get cracks like that. Theres a little lip of concrete looks like it overhangs the fiberglass a bit and that may be why it broke loose.

All good then, I have a cantilever deck but no expansion joint.
Will keep on eye on it. Thank you guys.
This is likely my fault for letting the water rise above that line in the winter. It has happened a few times since we got the pool. I was better at it this winter than last winter, I'll tell you that. Will be more careful next year.

This is likely my fault for letting the water rise above that line in the winter. It has happened a few times since we got the pool.

The cracked concrete was probably caused by water freezing on the concrete and cracking it. Same way that potholes in roads form.

Reactions: Oli77