Fixed seal.. Pump Electrical Broke. Now what?

david_

Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had just finished replacing the big O-ring on my DE filter (no leaks!), and the shaft seal on my pump (no leaks! it's still leaking) when suddenly the pump shut off. I couldn't get it to start again, so I opened the back and it seems the electrical bracket (white thing) inside the pump motor has broke and not sure what else.
  • Can it be repaired?
  • Do I replace the motor?
  • Do I buy a variable speed motor?
    • Would that require a new pump/timer box?

PXL_20221229_212340601 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an old Challenger single speed pump.

Since you're getting a renovation anyway, probably time to get a variable speed pump.

That's an interesting option - I'm a bit concerned my pump still has a slow drip around the base of the clamping area.

I did notice the shaft is pretty beat up when I was reinstalling. That could be why new seal didn't solve it.

PXL_20221229_195937705 (Large).jpg

After more thought.. doesn't seem wise to spent $600 on a variable speed motor on this 10 yr old pump. I think it's time to pull the trigger on a brand new pump/motor.

• Can it be repaired?
  • Do I replace the motor?
  • Do I buy a variable speed motor?
    • Would that require a new pump/timer box?
Yes.
No.
No if you meant just the motor, yes if meant replacing the entire pump with a modern VS pump.
No.

VS pumps have onboard computers and control pads that allow you to fully schedule the pump, nothing else needed. You hardwire the pump to 24/7 power and you can eliminate the old timer box.

VS pumps (I think without exception) cannot control anything else, so if you have a timer that was controlling more than just the filter pump, you'd want to leave the old timer in place for that. Alternately, you could fully automate your pool equipment with a pool automation controller, but that would be quite a chunk of additional expense and somewhat complicates your setup. You'd get niceties like being able to remotely control your pump(s) and lights and anything else you can plug into it (garden lights, fountains, etc), but for just running a single pump it's probably overkill. I only mention it because "Overkill" is my middle name. 🤪

Reactions: david_
VS pumps have onboard computers and control pads that allow you to fully schedule the pump, nothing else needed. You hardwire the pump to 24/7 power and you can eliminate the old timer box.

VS pumps (I think without exception) cannot control anything else, so if you have a timer that was controlling more than just the filter pump, you'd want to leave the old timer in place for that. Alternately, you could fully automate your pool equipment with a pool automation controller, but that would be quite a chunk of additional expense and somewhat complicates your setup.

My timer also controls the pool heater timer on the same switch. Should heaters be powered on (not heating) 24/7?

Pump wise - I'm leaning towards this - Pentair IntelliFlo3 VSF Variable Speed & Flow Pool Pump | 3THP 208-230V | 011075

I don't want to do automation system, so I'm trying to determine if it's required with that model.

It's fine to leave the heater on 24/7, are you running the heater on a schedule or just manually.

Another pump you could look at is the Waterway Power Defender 270 which is a little cheaper.

It does also have an AUX relay built in but it will only activate if pump is running over 2100 RPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
VS pumps (I think without exception) cannot control anything else
Well how dare they update their offerings without letting me know!! Looks like there are, in fact, pumps that now control other things. I'd recommend you thoroughly explore the owner manual of anything you're thinking of buying, along with any other competing brands or models, so you know exactly what each does, and how well that fits your use. This is a big purchase that will last you many years, maybe even decades, so you want to make sure you get the right one, because they're too expensive to swap if you later discover there was a better choice.

I only watched a bit of the IntelliFlo 3 video that James provided. I thought it said something about it only being wireless, without any way to use a control cable. Personally, I hate wireless, but if it works for you that would certainly simplify things. If you never automate your equipment, this is likely a non-issue. Another ad I glanced at listed the ability of the pump to control a salt water generator. If the manual states the pump can do that, and make control of a Pentair SWG available via an app, wow, that would be very hard to pass up.

IntelliFlo is considered the Cadillac of pool pumps, and while the Pentair SWG has strong competition, and is arguably not the very best choice when it comes to price, if the two can work together and allow you remote control, well, that'd be awesome. I know you're not in the market for an SWG, but I think once you study up on what that can do for you and your pool experience, you might want to have the capability of the pump's app control ready and waiting (which is another plus for the IntelliFlo 3).

Last edited:
Also, while considering price, there are additional things to think about. You'll likely want 240VAC to the pump, of sufficient amps. If you don't already have that, factor that in. That can be quite an expense if you have to hire someone and there is a long run to the breaker panel. And if I remember correctly, some pumps need a special GFCI circuit breaker, like in the $100+ price range. Get a handle on that. Then there is the plumbing you might have to reconfigure to get the pump to fit where the old one was. For example, some pumps require a specific length of pipe leading into the pump. Maybe your old pump location allows for that, maybe it doesn't. Again, study the installation section of the pumps you're considering to fully understand what you're getting into, and what it's going to cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.