Hayward pump shaft seal leak after 3 days of new motor install/replacement

dealdoug

Mar 2, 2024
South Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I replaced the motor on a Hayward max flo pump sp2807x10 because motor was getting louder. There were no apparent leaks before replacement. Motor was approx 6+ yrs old. Had weg 1hp replaced with century 1hp same model ust1102/56j.
I have replaced motor and seals before so I know seals were installed correctly.
Within a couple days there was a leak from the shaft seal dripping between mounting plate and motor face.
Replaced seals again but began leaking again.
Replaced impeller with new seals as a precaution for possible wear on the shaft same result.
Then reinstalled old motor with seal that was leaking on new motor and no leak was apparent after a couple days.
Last attempt reinstalled new motor with new seal and leaked after 3 days.
I considered shaft being bad but there is nothing apparent. See video below.
No leaks from housing seals.
I assume it's a bad motor but looks good to me.
PS I even tried a used spare seal plate/mounting bracket with the I had laying around with the new motor, no difference.

Video of running motor shaft

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_170540736.jpg
    PXL_20240228_170540736.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240221_192441614~2.jpg
    PXL_20240221_192441614~2.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1709401357241.jpg
    1709401357241.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If the seal is from Amazon, it is probably cheap junk.

Get the good seal and use seal lube to install the seals.

Edit by Jim R.

1709403892438.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The ceramic is too black, which indicates a cheap seal or incorrect installation.

View attachment 556163
I don't know which one is pictured but I have tried 4 or 5 different ps-201 seals. Some from Amazon, online pool store and the latest was a branded Flow serve ps-201 from local motor/pump company. You can see the last one on the impeller. All had the same results. Do you see something installed incorrectly?
I used magiclube blue cap lube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I do not know why there would be a difference.

Maybe the shaft is a different length?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think the old WEG is longer. It's hard to measure precisely from the mounting screws. The shaft itself from the bearing is definitely shorter on the century. Would that upgraded seal make up for the difference?

Is the spring completely compressed when you screw the impeller on?
Well the thing I noticed is that the impeller goes all the way to end of threads and locks. I never remember feeling that, just screwed it in snug. But it seems like it happens now with both motors but more so with the new century. Idk very weird situation.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think the old WEG is longer. It's hard to measure precisely from the mounting screws. The shaft itself from the bearing is definitely shorter on the century. Would that upgraded seal make up for the difference?
Upgraded seal is a Viton seal (better material), the dimensions are the same as well as the dimensions on the motors.
Be sure to NOT use seal lubricant on the sealing faces but only on the impeller shaft and the cup the ceramic inserts into. That's what seal lube is for, so the rubber parts get a good seal in those areas.
Be sure that there is nothing in the cup of the sealplate that is interfering with the ceramic seating completely to the end and also that it has no cracks. They are very hard to see, but those areas do crack at times.

Reactions: borjis and dubdub
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try the viton seal and see what happens. I noticed the seal I used is marked 201CV and looks like the 3868 pictures online. I wonder if the V is for Viton?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.