First Time Using TF-Pro Salt - Some Grey Matter in Pool

Hair nets working really well, thank you! Did another test today now that all the new chemicals arrived. What I found interesting is what the IC60 says and the Salt Test says are off considerably. Is this expected? IC60 says 2800, but salt test says 3600. I added two bags of salt based on what the IC60 said, not a test so it's no wonder the pool water tastes like salt. I won't make that mistake again. I now have the SWG set to 50%. Chlorine is thru the roof as well, but guessing this is because there's too much salt? Adding 4" of water water today so should come down overtime.
You are doing it right. Make sure the cell is happy. If it likes 3800 on the drop test and says 3000 on the cell and is generating, you know what to maintain based on the drop test. Yes, they can be off significantly. Chlorine is high because your % output is high, not the salt. Turn down production. Water will help temporarily, but just turn down production.

You are doing it right. Make sure the cell is happy. If it likes 3800 on the drop test and says 3000 on the cell and is generating, you know what to maintain based on the drop test. Yes, they can be off significantly. Chlorine is high because your % output is high, not the salt. Turn down production. Water will help temporarily, but just turn down production.
Thank you, @PoolStored ! It was at 100% / super chlorinate because salt was low (obviously a silly assumption on my part). I adjusted down to 50% this morning. Do you think I wait and see how it looks tomorrow or adjust down to 25% now? Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

In Anchor Bar territory, Yeah, turn it down to 25%. In Ashtabula, I'm running a 30K pool with 60K cell at 20% and it is just about right (I have a solar cover). Try 25% and see what happens...

Reactions: newbie919
In Anchor Bar territory, Yeah, turn it down to 25%. In Ashtabula, I'm running a 30K pool with 60K cell at 20% and it is just about right (I have a solar cover). Try 25% and see what happens...
Hey neighbor! I don't have a solar cover, but we'll see where we're at come Sunday at 25%. Much appreciate your help!

Reactions: PoolStored
If you use PoolMath - go into Effects of Adding, select SWG, enter the details of your cell and pool and runtime and it will estimate FC generation for you. You can use that as a good guesstimate for setting…. (It can’t account for pool conditions unique to your pool like sunlight and plants and such)

If you use PoolMath - go into Effects of Adding, select SWG, enter the details of your cell and pool and runtime and it will estimate FC generation for you. You can use that as a good guesstimate for setting…. (It can’t account for pool conditions unique to your pool like sunlight and plants and such)
This is really neat, thanks @BDY . What value am I inputting for SWG%? I assume 25% if I have the cell set to 25% output? Since I'm running the pump 24 hours it's saying it will raise FC by 2.1. Maybe I should reduce the SWG to 10% until my FC falls down more :ROFLMAO: . I'll keep it as-is for now and check Sunday and then readjust.

Use 2 for the 24 hour SWG output. Put that in the 24 hour SWG Chlorine output in the setup for your pool and it will default in effects of adding.

We're making progress. I added around 50oz of 29% MA and also 8lbs of dry stabilizer over the weekend. Also kicked my SWG down to 25% and add a few inches of water. Sounds like if I leave my SWG at 25% and running 24 hours I will raise FC by 2.1. Thinking I'll check the FC again this weekend to see where I'm at (unless you guys think I should bump it up now?). Below are this morning's test results.

TC - 5.0 (FC of 5, CC of 0)
TA - 120 ... need to get pH down to 7.2 to clear this up, which means another 50oz or so of MA.
CYA - 60 ... pool math says add 3 more lbs to hit 75
pH - 7.8
CH - 100 ... waiting for Calcium Chloride to arrive
Salt - 2800 ... not sure how my salt dropped 1000 so fast and now it's saying add a 40lbs bag

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re salt - Is that the cell or the Taylor test? If cell - is the cell happy? SWG salinity is electrical not chemical so they can be flighty. if Taylor - Did you let the water come to room temp first if it was cold?

I do not. Didn't know this was a thing! Something like this? I've been hand washing my skimmer baskets every day haha
I went 4 years without learning of this. This season it's been a game changer :) I buy a Crud ton of hairnets off amazon. works like a champ especially when the dog is in the water.

Reactions: bbdude and BDY
Re salt - Is that the cell or the Taylor test? If cell - is the cell happy? SWG salinity is electrical not chemical so they can be flighty. if Taylor - Did you let the water come to room temp first if it was cold?
Thanks for chiming in, @BDY . Not sure what you mean by happy, but here’s how it looks.

I did the Taylor test. Pool water is 82 and I tested it at this temp.

IMG_0416.jpeg

Thanks for chiming in, @BDY . Not sure what you mean by happy, but here’s how it looks.

I did the Taylor test. Pool water is 82 and I tested it at this temp.

View attachment 500554
Someone else with more experience can reply - but the red salt light runs the risk of the cell not generating chlorine. Maybe the test from before was off…. ??

Trust the taylor kit. when you originally tested salt (first post) you were 2550. You added two bags, this would have raised it to 2950. Error on the test is +-200...

The red means the salt cell thinks your salt is 2800 or below. I would add another four bags (check my math with pool math), should get you up to 3600. Pentair range is 3600ppm - 4500. Ideal being 3600.

Trust the taylor kit. when you originally tested salt (first post) you were 2550. You added two bags, this would have raised it to 2950. Error on the test is +-200...

The red means the salt cell thinks your salt is 2800 or below. I would add another four bags (check my math with pool math), should get you up to 3600. Pentair range is 3600ppm - 4500. Ideal being 3600.
Thank you, @PoolStored . First posting of 2550 was from the SWG, not Taylor. Friday's posting of 3800 was from Taylor. SWG showed 'Green' and 'Good' on Saturday. Maybe I messed up the test today (or Friday?). I'm going to retest w/ Taylor tomorrow and if I get the same reading of 2800 I'll add another few bags.

Pool Math says 3000 is ideal. I assume I should accept the Pentair posted ideal amount of 3600 and so 4 40lb bags will do it (checked via Pool Math).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support