First Time Using TF-Pro Salt - Some Grey Matter in Pool

OCLT and SLAM worked out well.

Of course, when doing a final vacuuming, it seems leaves may be stuck somewhere as I can’t prime my pump now 😂

Always something!

EDIT - Leaves were stuck around the main diverter before hitting the pump. Crisis averted.

Last edited:
Hi All - Thank you for all the help during the 2023 swim season! Didn't want to start a new thread so here goes :).

Last year my pool company opened the pool and dumped a ton of algaecide, which created quite a bit of grey matter. I suspect they never did a proper SLAM when closing in 2022.

Did a proper OCLT and SLAM at end of 2023 at closing. Also moved my opening up in the year to April 24 (instead of May 15) to get a jump on algae / warmer water temps.

Pool company will open my pool, but wanted to confirm my understanding of start-up chemicals from reading the Opening Your Pool guide:
  1. Test all chemicals (FC, TA, CYA, pH, CH, Salt).
  2. Adjust as needed. SLAM if water is green. I assume it will probably be brown/yellow, which is okay?
  3. Manually add liquid chlorine until water >70F and SWG is making chlorine.

Opened the pool! Chlorine did not last thru the winter so FC is 0, but pool temp is still in 40s and water is clear! However, my CYA went up during the winter in spite of a mid winter drain off and adding a lot of new water yesterday. How is that even possible?

Today's readings:

FC - 0
TA - 80
CYA - 90
pH - 8.2 but its REALLY dark pink
CH - 275
Salt - 2400
CSI - 0.27

Last edited:
You don’t trust CYA or PH are a full day? Maybe both haha?
CYA. PH, FC and TA should be good to go in 15 to 20 mins. The others can take a full day.

Which it's had.

Run CYA again as said above, but it's late now for us and you need overhead sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA. PH, FC and TA should be good to go in 15 to 20 mins. The others can take a full day.

Which it's had.

Run CYA again as said above, but it's late now for us and you need overhead sun.

Thanks! Was at Leslie's today so had them test this morning (nearly 4 days since opening). Here's what I've got and my plan:

FC - 0.17 (will add a gallon today)
TA - 87 (this will come down as I get the pH under control)
CYA - 50 (for Buffalo 60 or so is probably ideal ... might just leave this alone for now)
pH - 8.7 (going to add ~40oz every 4 hours until I reach a gallon/128oz
CH - 351 (leaving this alone)
Salt - 2400 (will add 2x40lb bags for now until water temp rises)

Let the water sample come to room temperature before testing CYA.

Didn't know this! So maybe that's why Leslie's looks better than mine because the water had time to warm? I don't think it was room temp, but closer than straight out the pool.

Was at Leslie's today so had them test this morning (nearly 4 days since opening). Here's what I've got and my plan:

FC - 0.17 (will add a gallon today)
TA - 87 (this will come down as I get the pH under control)
CYA - 50 (for Buffalo 60 or so is probably ideal ... might just leave this alone for now)
pH - 8.7 (going to add ~40oz every 4 hours until I reach a gallon/128oz
CH - 351 (leaving this alone)
Salt - 2400 (will add 2x40lb bags for now until water temp rises)
Dude. You're a riot !!!!!! :laughblue:

You always know how to make me laugh. :hug:

Post real #s and we'll hatch a plan.