Finally ready to go to work on my green swamp!

You're right there then. Keep it at shock level for now. When I hit 1cc point on my Baquacil conversion I found that any nook held the key to a zero CC level. Take a toothbrush and scrub around all the lights, skimmers, eyeballs, steps.....anywhere the last bit of algae can hide. I'd guess you see the last CC drop here tonight. I'd run the vacuum if you can as well and keep scrubbing the walls.

Is the water 100% clear now?

Maybe someone can help me out here:

My main pump runs fine for a few hours with good pressure, then it starts to "cavitate" and air gets into the pool through the returns, which creates foam on the surface of the water. Also, when this happens I start to see water in the sight glass on the waste line, and my water level in the pool begins to drop. I don't know if it related, but I also see some water and air coming out of the booster pump return into the pool, even though the booster pump is off.

Thank you for any help/suggestions!

Well, I'm almost home :) Pool is clearing a little more each day:

Attachments

• greenpool8.jpg
    greenpool8.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 91
  • greensteps8.jpg
    greensteps8.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 91
  • greenpool8.2.jpg
    greenpool8.2.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 91
I passed the OCLT last night, but just barely... lost 1ppm of FC and CC is .5ppm :)

Water is clearer, but still cloudy enough that you can see the outline of the floor in the deep end (8ft) but not the drain. Do I continue shocking or just keep the FC level at target level and let the filter clear the pool? I'm trying to work on my POP, but its hard! :

Attachments

• greenpool9.jpg
    greenpool9.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 65

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately even though the OCLT "passed" and you have <.5ppm CC, your water isn't clear.

So that's a no pass for the time being. Continue shocking. POP is free, use the cashola you save on it and buy yourself a beer :~}

Water is clearing... this morning I could not see the main drain in the deep end, but when I got home from work I could see it :)

Testing results from tonight:

FC 2
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 100

I didn't test fot CYA because I just added more yesterday to get to 30ppm

Pics from tonight:

Attachments

• bluepool1.jpg
    bluepool1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 46
  • bluepool2.jpg
    bluepool2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 46
  • bluepool3.jpg
    bluepool3.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 46
Bet you by the end of the weekend your pool is 100% sparkling.

Amazing how much difference there is. Great job! Maybe others can chime in here, but maybe a change of sand is soon in store.

Really? Interesting... when "clean" this filter shows 42psi on the gauge. It creeps up to 50psi over 48 hours and I backwash & rinse. Is 42psi abnormally high? I realize that the gauge may need to be replaced. Best guess is that the filter is 5-7 years old. I have read a little about changing the sand here at trouble free pool, but I got the impression that most thought it was unnecessary...

I know with DE a change is in order, but not sure with sand. I would watch the PSI increase.

When is a change in sand in order everybody??

wkener2 said:
Really? Interesting... when "clean" this filter shows 42psi on the gauge. It creeps up to 50psi over 48 hours and I backwash & rinse. Is 42psi abnormally high? I realize that the gauge may need to be replaced. Best guess is that the filter is 5-7 years old. I have read a little about changing the sand here at trouble free pool, but I got the impression that most thought it was unnecessary...
42 psi is very high, I would guess your gauge is shot. In my opinion, the only reason to change sand outside of a baqua conversion (your are not doing this are you?) is because you do not know if the proper sand is in the filter and the filter is not performing its function efficiently. You might be in this situation?

This is not a Bacqua-Chlorine conversion (Thank God)

So if the gauge is faulty, then my actual psi is lower, but I still backwash when the pressure goes up by 8-10psi. Is there any reason to replace the gauge other than the numbers are off?

As someone familar with gauges in general, it could be broken such that it is inaccurate but registers changes ok, or it could be sprung is a way that you can't count on anything. Unless you can test it against something else, it is hard to say.

As someone new to pool maintenance I can tell you that if you change the gauge and you are screwing it into a plastic fitting such as on the backwash valve don't screw it in too tight. Put a little teflon tape or teflon pipe dope on the threads. Screw it in barely hand tight, no make that just past hand loose, if it does not leak you are good. If it does another half turn at a time. (I recently cracked the backwash valve housing going just a bit too far just with my hands.) :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.