Finalizing the quote and specifications.

Lovito

Oct 17, 2023
Dfw
Good morning and happy thanksgiving! We are in the process of finalizing our pool project, before we move forward I’d love to get your input, suggestion, and advice on the good and bad. I’ve been following this site and found it incredibly helpful.
Thank you in advance :).
I’m attaching the specs of the project with equipment and features and also a 3d of how it will look like (the dimensions on the 3d are not 100% accurate but the specifications is the latest one). We are in the Dallas, TX area

IMG_0536.jpegIMG_0537.pngIMG_0538.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

Pretty details specifications. Better then most we see.

Their lack of an engineer is a red flag for me. Especially in Texas where you have expansive soil. We see many cracked pools from Texas. It seems builders use standard sets of plans that are not reviewed and adjusted by an engineer for site specific conditions. And then builders hope for the best and deal with their problems. Maybe you will be the lucky ones with no problems. It is better to have an engineers review and stamp on all drawings and someone to fall back on if you do have problems.

The Jandy IQ904PS gives you only four relays. You should get a 908 system with 8 relays and give you more future expansion ability. It is much more expensive to expand a system later then to buy it initially.

I would not get an In-Line Chlorinator system that uses Trichlor tablets and continuously adds CYA to your pool. More then 80ppm of CYA begins giving you problems. You will need to drain your pool every 6 to 9 months to keep CYA in check.

I would insist on a Jandy Aqupure PL1400 SWCG system. Texas builder don't like them and they will tell you how it will corrode your pool. Thousands of members here are in Texas and use them with no problem. It is your pool and you should insist on it.

Lots more information in...

Reactions: Lovito
Welcome to TFP.

Pretty details specifications. Better then most we see.

Their lack of an engineer is a red flag for me. Especially in Texas where you have expansive soil. We see many cracked pools from Texas. It seems builders use standard sets of plans that are not reviewed and adjusted by an engineer for site specific conditions. And then builders hope for the best and deal with their problems. Maybe you will be the lucky ones with no problems. It is better to have an engineers review and stamp on all drawings and someone to fall back on if you do have problems.
thank you very much for the input.
Are you referring to soil injections? We are doing them for sure, it doesnt show it in the list because they quoted it separately as a “luxury item”. Once they excavate we will make a decision weather we need piers or not but most houses in my neighborhood don’t so I don’t think we will need them either.

Hi and welcome to TFP! Thanks for letting us help you build your build aka spend your money LOL

Make sure you have a light by your equipment pad. You will thank me on the dark and stormy night when you have to go out there to do something!

What is the depth of your shelf? Make all depths are WATER depths. That is measured from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer open and waterline tile. Some people measure from the bottom of the pool to the coping. When is done that way you lose a few inches of water depth.

Kim:kim:

Are you referring to soil injections? We are doing them for sure, it doesnt show it in the list because they quoted it separately as a “luxury item”. Once they excavate we will make a decision weather we need piers or not but most houses in my neighborhood don’t so I don’t think we will need them either.

Those are all things to be worked out between your structural engineer, soil engineer, and your builder. The key thing being you should get a site specific engineered plan and not have the builder use a set of generic plans. It puts the responsibility on the engineers if you have any problems since your builder explicitly stated it is not his responsibility...

1700953460350.png.

Hi and welcome to TFP! Thanks for letting us help you build your build aka spend your money LOL

Make sure you have a light by your equipment pad. You will thank me on the dark and stormy night when you have to go out there to do something!

What is the depth of your shelf? Make all depths are WATER depths. That is measured from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer open and waterline tile. Some people measure from the bottom of the pool to the coping. When is done that way you lose a few inches of water depth.

Kim:kim:
Great, I’ll make sure to do so, didn’t even think about that :laughblue:

Those are all things to be worked out between your structural engineer, soil engineer, and your builder. The key thing being you should get a site specific engineered plan and not have the builder use a set of generic plans. It puts the responsibility on the engineers if you have any problems since your builder explicitly stated it is not his responsibility...

View attachment 542001.
Ok, is that a 3rd party that does that?

Ok, is that a 3rd party that does that?
Not you, not your builder, the question is should you find independent engineers or ask your Builder for recommendations. I prefer independent engineers if you can find them and not engineers who are too buddy with your Builder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lovito
On my list for Monday
Here are my observations based on a cursory review of your PB specs and renderings:

• I agree with Allen on the need for an independent soils engineer to design the pool structure
  • Ditto on the absolute need for a SWCG system; you will not regret it
  • You may want to consider a large Jandy cartridge water filter vs the DE filter based on what I’ve been reading on TFP
  • I’m not sure of the need for a chiller in the DFW area, but you may want to ask around for how warm other’s pools get during the hot Texas summers. At a minimum, I would allow space on your equipment pad for a chiller
  • I assume that back side of the house is guttered? There will be a lot of water coming off that roof in downpours and you want to ensure proper management and drainage of that water to keep it out of the pool. Make sure the UG drainage pipe(s) running to the front yard is sized properly
  • On your tanning shelf, make sure that the step down from the coping is a reasonable height - 7” - 8”; you may want to have an umbrella cup installed on the shelf
  • On your outdoor kitchen island, consider installing a sink which makes it convenient to perform your pool water testing
Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
#2 Show on pool plans water shed off direction and locations of deck drains.

#8 If the spa is to centered off the windows of the patio cover have this measurement confirmed for you. Also have explained how elevation of pool/spa was determined, I can help explain this in more detail if interested.

#10 Will the PB have a Dig-Alert type company pre locate any utility line’s prior to excavation? This section of the Pool Construction Agreement is very concerning.

#14 Is the P/B following a Steel Engineering plan for your specific project signed by a Steel Engineer?

#15 What will the PSI of the Gunite be rated for after 28 days and who is responsible for the hydration process after application?

#54 Saw cut expansion joints completely through the concrete to dirt and not just score the concrete.

#55 Consider having Pour-A-Lids installed for skimmers and auto fill lids to match the finish of the deck work.

#56 Type of pool overflow system to be installed?

More specific details can be given for the process of the build that are not typically included in the contract if you are interested.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I’m going to have a chat with the PB about all this. We are still in the fence between this PB and another one, we’re just leaning towards this one but they’re both refutable companies in the area.
I definitely got to the right place here! Truly appreciate all the responses and will keep posting here the PB answers to all this
:)

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.