Filling a Salt Water Pool

Do I turn on the SWG now or after the pump has been running for 24 hours?
You always want to give the salt 24 hrs to mix well in the water before turning on the SWG. For today, just add some liquid chlorine as needed.

Post a picture of what you are talking about.
I don’t have a picture. Some pool companies that came out to look at the stuff said when I installed the SWG I needed to install some device that prevents salt going to the heater. Others said it wasn’t necessary.

I needed to install some device that prevents salt going to the heater
Thats probably what they said, but what they said is impossible. Salt is in the water and is going to pass through the heater.

What they worry about is acid seeping into the heater like a tab floater would do, but the SWG doesn't seep acid. So a check valve is needed for a tab feeder, but not a SWG. Many pool stores/services don't understand the difference.

So I added the 60 lbs of salt that pool math said to add. I didn’t realized I didn’t have the sodium regent and ordered it. After 24 hours of running the filter, I turned on the SWG and it says I need to add more salt. Curious what I should do.

Wait for your salt test to come. (y)

60 lbs is only 996 ppm salt in 7200 gallons. How many ppm were you expecting to add ?

Wait for your salt test to come. (y)

60 lbs is only 996 ppm salt in 7200 gallons. How many ppm were you expecting to add ?
Pool math set the calculation to 1000 ppm. I just used what the math provided me. Should I continue to run the pump and Swg? How much ppm do I need?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I continue to run the pump and Swg?
Run the pump per your normal runtimes. The salt should be mixed by now. Turn the SWG off because you'll be adding about twice as much as you did so far, once the salt kit comes and you can get a good reading.
Pool math set the calculation to 1000 ppm. I just used what the math provided me.
That was probably just the default amount. Most SWGs run in the 3000 to 3600 range. It's OK. We have time. WAY better to undershoot than overshoot. :)

Run the pump per your normal runtimes. The salt should be mixed by now. Turn the SWG off because you'll be adding about twice as much as you did so far, once the salt kit comes and you can get a good reading.

That was probably just the default amount. Most SWGs run in the 3000 to 3600 range. It's OK. We have time. WAY better to undershoot than overshoot. :)
Thanks for your help! So I need to add a little more than 4 more bags. Just confirming, I add the salt and run the pump for 24 hours with SWG off. Once that settles and PPM is correct, I can run the SWG.

Reactions: Newdude
Just confirming, I add the salt and run the pump for 24 hours with SWG off. Once that settles and PPM is correct, I can run the SWG.
To be TFP clear...... ;)

1) test with K1766
2) add 80% of the remainder to target (swg off)
3) test again to confirm (repeat adds if necessary)
4) turn on SWG
5) set SWG to match or exceed daily FC loss

Reactions: Mdragger88
To be TFP clear...... ;)

1) test with K1766
2) add 80% of the remainder to target (swg off)
3) test again to confirm (repeat adds if necessary)
4) turn on SWG
5) set SWG to match or exceed daily FC loss
Thanks! How do I set the Pentair ichlor? I thought it was set automatically. None of this was explained to my by the pool company….

Well, an Aqualink can't talk to a iChlor, as far as I'm aware. That was an interesting and weird choice for them, especially with a spa.. You would manually control/dial in the SWG settings on the iChlor unit itself.

Reactions: Newdude
Well, an Aqualink can't talk to a iChlor, as far as I'm aware. That was an interesting and weird choice for them, especially with a spa.. You would manually control/dial in the SWG settings on the iChlor unit itself.
How do I do that? That is correct. The Aqualink was too old for anything to be compatible. It was going to require an entirely new Aqualink and this is what was done. It does turn on when the pump is running.

Got it. I’m adding all the chemicals. Do I turn on the SWG now or after the pump has been running for 24 hours?
I don’t turn my SWG until I have the proper amount of salt in my pool. I add chlorine as needed until my salt levels are correct and then I turn on the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.