Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I just filled a pool that will eventually be converted into a salt water pool. I would like to know what I should do next. From what I've read, this is what I was going to do.
  • Run the filter pump for 24 hours
  • Test water
  • Add 20 ppm of CYA
  • Add chlorine and muriatic acid to appropriate levels
  • After reaching the appropriate levels add salt to pool
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Since new water has no CYA, definitely add some stabilizer. Temps are getting warmer, so I would go for a CYA of about 40. Once you install the SWG then you can increase the CYA to 70. Keep the FC balanced to your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

For the pH, keep it between 7.2-7.8. Most likely it will hoover in the upper 7s, and if this is new plaster you will be adding muriatic acid frequently to keep the pH at 7.8.

Add salt at any time before the SWG is installed. That should do it. Let us know if you have more questions.

Did you test your fill water? What kit did you test with? Whats the readings for the pool water? That's the first place to start. Salt pools need about 70 PPM of stabilizer. You can add salt and stabilizer at the same time, but use a sock to put the stabilizer into and place it in the skimmer basket, squish the sock every so often. Salt goes into the pool and brush to help dissolve and mix it with the water. Keep your pump running for 24/7.

After you know all the test parameters use pool math to guide you on what to do and how much. You will need liquid chlorine to keep the pool from going green at the start. If you post your test results the members here can and will help you.

* test for salt after balancing. It likely won't be much, but we had a member last year hit 600 ppm from startup alone. That's enough to overshoot your target. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Last edited:
Since new water has no CYA, definitely add some stabilizer. Temps are getting warmer, so I would go for a CYA of about 40. Once you install the SWG then you can increase the CYA to 70. Keep the FC balanced to your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

For the pH, keep it between 7.2-7.8. Most likely it will hoover in the upper 7s, and if this is new plaster you will be adding muriatic acid frequently to keep the pH at 7.8.

Add salt at any time before the SWG is installed. That should do it. Let us know if you have more questions.
I have not tested the water yet. The SWG is already installed. So I should add the CYA run the pump for 24 hours and then add the salt? Then run the SWG?

Are these suitable stabilizers?

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Pool-12004CLX-Chlorine-Stabilizer/dp/B084GPVPMM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2QYAB0PAAG31I&keywords=chlorine+stabilizers&qid=1681507148&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=chlroine+stabliuzers,lawngarden,95&sr=1-3

or

That is fine. Likely at your local Walmart or Home Depot too.
how much do I need to add of both? Thanks

Add liquid chlorine to maintain your FC level. Add the salt, add the CYA,. All simultaneously is fine.
Use Poolmath for how much to add.
Confirming this is correct based off my reading

0 FC
0 CYA
0 SALT

Add
37 oz 10% hypo liquid chlorine
67 oz of chlorine stabilizer
100 lb of salt

Also, I do not have some copper piece installed near the heater. Do I need that before adding salt and/or running the heater?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Download the Pool Math app, plug in your pool's info and it will tell you what you need to know. I personally would shoot for a little less on the proper levels, let it mix well for 24 hours, make sure all the CYA and salt has dissolved and take the readings again. Adjust up (or down) any parameters that need to be adjusted. It's always easier to add then to subtract.

Is this new plaster?
Why was the pool drained and refilled?

Don't add any salt yet. If it's new plaster, you need to wait 30 days for the new plaster to cure.

Post a full set of current test results from your K-2006

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA - if you haven't added any, don't test yet.

What is the pH, TA and CH of your tap water?

Download the Pool Math app, plug in your pool's info and it will tell you what you need to know. I personally would shoot for a little less on the proper levels, let it mix well for 24 hours, make sure all the CYA and salt has dissolved and take the readings again. Adjust up (or down) any parameters that need to be adjusted. It's always easier to add than to subtract.
I did. That is what the app gave me.

Is this new plaster?
Why was the pool drained and refilled?

Don't add any salt yet. If it's new plaster, you need to wait 30 days for the new plaster to cure.

Post a full set of current test results from your K-2006

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA - if you haven't added any, don't test yet.

What is the pH, TA and CH of your tap water?
This is not new plaster.

By the way I don’t fully under the link. To maintain 70 CYA, does it mean I need to maintain 5 FC? Also should I be adding free chlorine to the pool or salt regularly? Lastly, how do I test for salt with my Taylor test kit?

By the way I don’t fully under the link. To maintain 70 CYA, does it mean I need to maintain 5 FC? Also should I be adding free chlorine to the pool or salt regularly? Lastly, how do I test for salt with my Taylor test kit?
So with the FC/CYA Levels, you'll select your pool type, type of chlorination (liquid or SWG), and current CYA level which will give you the preferred recommended FC range. Once you know that, you'll either either add liquid chlorine each day or set the SWG and/or pump run time as needed to maintain that ideal FC range. For salt pools, the salt added won't disappear unless you remove water. CYA will need to be tested once or twice a month as it can slowly degrade, but that's about it. Of course you test your pH and other levels as needed too.

So with the FC/CYA Levels, you'll select your pool type, type of chlorination (liquid or SWG), and current CYA level which will give you the preferred recommended FC range. Once you know that, you'll either either add liquid chlorine each day or set the SWG and/or pump run time as needed to maintain that ideal FC range. For salt pools, the salt added won't disappear unless you remove water. CYA will need to be tested once or twice a month as it can slowly degrade, but that's about it. Of course you test your pH and other levels as needed too.
Got it. I’m adding all the chemicals. Do I turn on the SWG now or after the pump has been running for 24 hours?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.