Selenap

May 28, 2021
Waynesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have an agp with the stairs you gotta weight down. I didn’t want to use sand this year and instead in a fit of inspiration I used some cinderblocks. It works. Water flows around them. All is good.
Now. I have what’s considered soft well water. It’s high in iron of course but fairly low in calcium. Can’t remember magnesium level. I used probably 5,000 gallons of well water, 15,000 city water and some bleach rain to fill my new liner. I had about 100ppm of calicum at best, added mostly by cal hypo and 11 pounds of the calcium stuff I had.
Slowly my calcium level over the course of 6 weeks has risen to 400ppm. I can’t figure out how….except it’s those cinder blocks leaching it out. Of course that means they will deteriorate and I’ll have to find some other way of weighing down the stairs. Seem plausible this is where the calcium is coming from? 3 16” blocks?I can’t think of anything else and block is known for calcium scaling.

I use empty bleach bottles, filled with gravel & topped off with bleach, to weigh down my steps. My husband also made me some 20" long PVC pipes, filled with concrete & capped off on both ends. Could use another one of those, but it's not worth getting another 40 lb bag of concrete mix for that; hence the bleach bottle filled with gravel.
These can and have been reused for several years now.

Reactions: Selenap
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.