CH/PH rise

slickrick2002

Jan 16, 2023
Paulina, TX
4 yr old pool, constantly has high ph and high calcium hardness issues. I recently drained the pool and did an acid wash all by myself... somewhere around May. Came out pretty good. Restarted the pool got all the numbers right everything fine for the first month or so. Calcium hardness upon startup was around 150ppm. I waited a while before testing the hardness because I thought that issue was gone but recent results show over 400ppm. How can this be? Only chems added where a little bit of shock to get started, some salt, some cya and some acid to control the PH. Nothing for Alk it was in range around 80 I have not put one other chemical in this pool since except acid. Not to mention the PH is always still high. Currently draining some and adding some fresh water. Going with borates this go around. All results from Taylor Test kit and bounced off of pinch a penny results every once in a while. Aquapure SWG.

Lasts results from pinch:
FC/TC 4ppm
PH 7.9
Alk 100
Hardness 400
Cya 60
Salt 3300

Last edited:
What is the CH of your fill water and how much do you add for evaporation losses?

If you are not adding calcium from fill water or chemicals, it is coming from the plaster. Might be carryover from the damage done when you acid washed.

If it is coming from the plaster, the CH and TA will rise by the same amount.

FC/TC 2ppm
PH 7.9
Alk 80
Hardness 375
Cya 20
Salt 2700

Still a little high on hardness so will drain more and refill. I dont see this hardness issue going away. Fill water was 100ppm. Want water as close to perfect as i can before I add borates.

new numbers:
FC/TC 3ppm
PH 7.8
Alk 80
Hardness 325
Cya 60
Salt 3300
Borate 50ppm

Drained half the pool got hardness down to 325. PH rise is still and has always been excessive. Im trying to target 7.6 but in order to do so will have to add acid every 3 days. I get it to 7.4 but its back at 7.8 in 2 days. Will monitor CH but I assume before the summer heat is over it will high. This battle has been going since day one.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks lik ph rise is still around .1-.2/day with borates at 50ppm. Does it ever stop? Im rising .1-.2ppm/day. Chlorinator at 40% all water features off. I was told this will get better over time but it hasn’t. These calcium noodles are not joke either. Tired of fooling with it. There has to be an answer.

Your mention of nodules had me wondering what that was, so I did some searching and found this old write-up. It’s a retired thread, so don’t post there, but I thought it might help you understand what may be happening here, as the folks above mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.