DIY 32x16 ish pool on steep slope

Ah, good advice on just putting something in the skimmer drain hole to block the water. I think I have a ball just slightly larger than the opening that should seal it pretty good.

So the pool completed filling up yesterday afternoon to just below the top of the skimmer. For some reason my corners are a little high, but otherwise things are looking pretty good. I wonder if not filling those last few inches are the cause of the slight bow I still have on the sides?

pool01-7-13.JPG
pool01-7-13.JPG

Water level just below top of skimmer.

pool02-7-13.JPG
pool02-7-13.JPG

Slight bow on uphill side:

pool03-7-13.JPG
pool03-7-13.JPG

And on downhill side as well:

pool04-7-13.JPG
pool04-7-13.JPG

That said, nothing is leaking and everything otherwise appears to be holding up well, despite some serious downpours over the last few days.

pool05-7-13.JPG
pool05-7-13.JPG

I added gallon jug of chlorine yesterday afternoon and tested with my TF-100 kit this morning, and these are the readings I got:

FC 2.0
CC 0
CH 25
TA 30
CYA 0 (the water was crystal clear so the black circle was visible when the test tube was full)

pH was below the scale in my test kit, so I'm estimating it to be around 6.6 or so.

Recall that I filled the pool using well water, running it through an ecoone hose filter.

I'll start reading up on how to bring up pH and hope that CYA will follow. Probably wouldn't hurt to pour in another jug of bleach once the sun has set.

Any pointers on best way to get my water params in check while I begin to read would be most welcome! :D

Time to update my profile as well with my pool info!

Last edited:
I know practically nothing about AG pools. I've never seen one without walls. It's just the frame holding up the liner? I'm not questioning you, of all people. I know you know what you're doing. I'm just curious about this. Or maybe those ARE walls, just rounded on the bottom.

You see, the devilish part of me is tempted to go poke a pin in on the side and make it pop! (right! now I won't be invited to your pool....). I guess that's a really horrible thing to admit to on a pool forum, but really, hasn't anyone else thought of that????

Suz.

You need to get that PH up and fast. Work on the TA also but the PH is the major one for swimmer's eyes and skim.

You have to buy stuff to get the CYA up. It is called stabilizer in the stores. It will not come up on it's own.

Here is a very helpful link to levels and how to get them up or down.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is pool math that will help you know how much of what to add to get to the levels you want.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim

(Suz!! You are going to get us in trouble if you keep talking about popping his pool! He will NEVER invite us now :( LOL)

from what I have seen the walls are doing exactly what they are suppose to :) you want some inward pressure to resist the water pushing out, it may settle and straighten out the more its used...

To raise your PH the cheap way is to use fountain..

here is a nice one and he has hard pipe also :)

PVC Water Fountain - Intex AGP - PVC plumbed

Thanks guys! I'll stop by the pool store tomorrow and pick up some stabilizer. From reading the Pool School stuff, it wasn't obvious to me that I had to buy something to raise the CYA.

As for the PH, thanks for the link casey! I had a submersible mag pump laying around and always carry an assortment of PVC piping, so I made this little self-contained loop for now.
pool01-7-14.JPG
pool01-7-14.JPG

I also figured out what was up with the high corners. Those corner pieces are loose and slide in and out of the long straight side pipes. A couple of them were hung up. Once I freed them, all the tension was gone and everything leveled out nicely.

I hope to be able to start on the deck tomorrow assuming my auger drill comes back from the shop. I bent the bracket that holds some of the teeth from the large rocks I had to deal with. It will basically be 8' wide and 40' long on the high side, and then extend out on one side about 16'.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I improved the design of the sprinkler once I got a hold of a pair of 3/4" end caps. Drilled smaller diameter holes in the tubing and got a lot more "throw" than before. The girls love it! Also decided to go with a 10' deck instead of 8'. Got the long side laid out loosely on the ground for now.

pool01-7-15.JPG
pool01-7-15.JPG

pool02-7-15.JPG
pool02-7-15.JPG

I'll probably extend the deck to wrap around the small tree seen in the pic below. I need to trim some of the lower branches.

pool03-7-15.JPG
pool03-7-15.JPG

Last edited:
I bet they do! That is going to be wonderful for cannon balls!

Psssssssssst you do know that you will need to keep an eye on your PH right? That rainbow fun will push your PH up. Just so you know. It is easy to push back down with Muratic acid.

Kim

So my plan is to only run the "rainbow fun" :) until my PH get up to the recommended level. And from then on, only drop it in for fun.

I check PH and FC every morning at the moment. Just got done adding another gallon jug of bleach and earlier today enough CYA to get me to 20 ppm or so (at least I'd like to think so). Will test for that in 3-4 days. So I try to stay on top of my water chemistry. ;)

You see, the devilish part of me is tempted to go poke a pin in on the side and make it pop! (right! now I won't be invited to your pool....). I guess that's a really horrible thing to admit to on a pool forum, but really, hasn't anyone else thought of that????

Suz.

This ^^^ my thoughts exactly, so tempting to pop that big fat water balloon like this: ?

Fat Guy Ruins A Swimming Pool - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.