DIY 32x16 ish pool on steep slope

Good point about not worrying about the looks of the railings with a view like that. :) I'll tell my wife that next time she reminds me.

That concrete column was from one of my many previous projects. Its a solid 30" column that rests on a 3x3x3 ft cube below ground level. It was a very stable base for doing long exposure photos of the sky. I think I mixed close to 400 80 lbs bags of cement myself for this project.

mixing2.jpg

zpier1.jpg

zpier3.jpg

I even built an observatory on the deck at one point with a sliding roof.

soffit1.jpg

soffit3.jpg

The first pour didn't work out and the columns wasn't stable because I didn't use a vibrator, so I tore down most of it again.

demo3.jpg

Added a bunch more rebar.

epoxy1.jpg

And did a new pour encasing the original column.

done.jpg

Then I got married, tore down the observatory and sold the telescopes. I still plan to pull down that pier at some point. I'll be sure to take pictures of that. Let's see ~ 400 bags @ 80 lbs is 32,000 lbs, plus the water and a lot of 1/2" rebar. That sucker is going to be heavy! :D

Anyway, I'm getting way off topic in my own thread here. :)

Hey now! Don't get me in trouble with your wife over painting the railings!!!! I'm still workin' on moving in with you guys when I retire from retirement!!!!! (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!) My son would be sick about you selling your telescopes and taking down the observatory. Was it just breathtaking from there?? Dark enough???? I'm afraid our city lights and pine trees more or less ruin it for my son. But he still gives it a go when there aren't any clouds and the humidity is low.

I know the grass is always greener..... but it sure seems ya'll have a wonderful place to live!!! Thanks for sharing with us - so much fun! Suz.

Haha it's all good with the wife. She agrees that getting the pool going is my top priority right now and that all other house maintenance can wait. Whoohoo!

Yeah, selling the telescope was sad, but I just couldn't justify keeping it after not using it for like 2 years. Fortunately it held its value really well.

Good idea about setting up the concrete column as something for the girls to play with. If I can just cut off the 16" section that comes up through the deck, I'll probably go that route, although I was kinda looking forward to the challenge of pulling it over with the tractor, or combination of tractor and truck if needed. Being 20 ft tall for plenty of leverage, and a steep down slope to pull from, I think it would come down, but I'd then have to drag it somewhere and bury it. Making a final decision on that will definitely have to wait until the "stage 1" pool is up and running!

That 3x3x3 anchor might surprise your tractor.
I say leave it be and build another shorter on on other side of pool.
Zipline fun for all!
I mean the insurance agent is already hating on us about the pool.
We have the bermuda triangle of insurance risk in our yard now; zipline, trampoline and now pool.

I'm sure the anchor would be a challenge! Hmm, didn't even think of a zip line!

Insurance. I didn't consider that angle yet. So I guess I'm supposed to notify them of the pool? Even a temporary above ground pool? I haven't bothered with a building permit at this point since I'm not really building anything yet, just doing some landscaping. I guess that is something else I need to consider for phase 2.

Hey guys, been busy with other stuff lately, but did get a little window this evening to start getting the edges cleaned up and the base leveled out. LOTs of work still to do on the walls to get them nice and vertical.

pool5-20-01.JPG
pool5-20-01.JPG

Pulled the olde Ford out of the shed for this task.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There you go. A little bit at a time! Nothing good ever gets accomplished by doing nothing.

Different areas and companies require different things. I've heard of some people required to have a fence and permit for an Intex, whereas for our permanent above ground nothing would be required in the county. (City did require permit, which was just a formality, no inspection).

We've got a lot of property and large trees and have been considering a zip line as well. That concrete tower is the perfect start! :)

Lol on the teenage boys. Can't say that's a period in my daughters lives I'm particularly looking forward too.

I'll check around with other pool owners in the neighborhood to see what the regulations are. Thanks.

Was able to spent some time yesterday completing chipping away at the walls to get them straight and dig out along the corners to make them square. After that backhoe work, I switched to the baby tractor and raked the last bit of rubble by hand and shoveled it into my tiny yard cart for removing. Didn't want to tear up the grass more than I had to with the big equipment.

pool01-5-23.JPG
pool01-5-23.JPG

So I think it turned out pretty well.

pool02-5-23.JPG
pool02-5-23.JPG

pool03-5-23.JPG
pool03-5-23.JPG

pool05-5-23.JPG
There's still a little bit of a hump or bow in the center as seen in the pic below. I have yet to use a transit level, or pull a string or anything like that. So far I have just been guesstimating at the level.

pool04-5-23.JPG
Since there are so many rocks in ground, if I begin to scrape away at the hump, I would rip up large rocks again, and the whole thing would get messy again. So I think my plan is to fill in the low spots instead with fill.

Here are some shots showing the large rock concentration. In this shot you can make out a dark line running through the wall, about 1.5 feet up. Above the line, lots of rocks, below, not so much. I think they build up the entire area around the house using rocks and they sprinkled a little dirt on top.

pool07-5-23.JPG
pool06-5-23.JPG

pool07-5-23.JPG

Last edited:
You sure are finding out a lot about your property!

Be careful about filling in with fill instead of going down to make it level. The fill has to be solid or it can/will settle under the weight of the water. I just want you to think along those lines while you are doing the work. I am SURE you will make it work and do it right!

Kim

I hear you on making sure the fill is solid! I plan to do a few inches at a time, compact, moisten, compact some more, and then do another couple inches. A lot of work for sure, but still beats digging up more of those monster rocks and begin re-leveling from scratch again I think. Besides, the high corner is currently taller than the top edge of the Intek, so filling in the low spots would help with that too.

You sure are finding out a lot about your property!

Be careful about filling in with fill instead of going down to make it level. The fill has to be solid or it can/will settle under the weight of the water. I just want you to think along those lines while you are doing the work. I am SURE you will make it work and do it right!

Kim

Kim, you know so much - so smart! Are you in construction or something similar? Or just enjoy it? Your responses always impress me, because then you flip around to the deeply heart-felt side. Nothing weird here - just admiration. Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

Pclausen: Good to see you in action again! I don't think you ever rest! I love the photos - as always! Especially those with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background. Things are looking great! Take care. Suz.

Kim, you know so much - so smart! Are you in construction or something similar? Or just enjoy it? Your responses always impress me, because then you flip around to the deeply heart-felt side. Nothing weird here - just admiration. Suz.

I LOVE to learn and I LOVE to help. Those two go hand in hand on this site. I try to read just about every post. There is always something to learn even if it does not apply to me at that moment. Someone may need the knowledge later on.

I also like to get my hands dirty. We bought a foreclosed home. It took us three months to get the house livable. THEN we worked on the property. I learned a lot doing that. My husband is a wonderful teacher and is always willing to supply the WHY of anything for me.

I always worry that if I do not say something (like being careful about adding dirt) they will not know it and it will cause them problems. I rather say it and not need to than.......................them having to redo it or someone getting hurt because I did not say anything.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you on making sure the fill is solid! I plan to do a few inches at a time, compact, moisten, compact some more, and then do another couple inches. A lot of work for sure, but still beats digging up more of those monster rocks and begin re-leveling from scratch again I think. Besides, the high corner is currently taller than the top edge of the Intek, so filling in the low spots would help with that too.

It shoulds like you have a good plan. I bet it works!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.