Twindad23

Aug 6, 2023
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just replace a malfunctioning salt chlorinator. Free chlorine readings remain nil.

Large kidney shaped in ground. Approx 30k gallons.
salt level approx 3500ppm.
CYA 30-40
hardness 400-500
alkalinity 150.
Ph 7.5.

I assumed I had a high chlorine demand and the new salt generator wasn’t able to overcome alone. (Not chlorine lock b/c the CYA is not high). So…i put in 12 gallons of liquid shock (12.5%) last night. This morning when i tested the free chlorine level was barely reading…still less than 1ppm.

here’s another conundrum…I’ve battled low CYA all year as well. I’ve added several pounds of granular CYA. It failed to budge the CYA, so I decided to add liquid CYA. I’ve added 4 gallons of liquid CYA and it only raised to 30-40 (previously unmeasurable).

Does anyone have any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: jiyu
"Chlorine lock" is nonsense that pool stores say. Something doesn't add up - you added a TON of chlorine and have nothing to show for it.
How does the pool look? Cloudy? Green? How long was your system down and the pool left without FC? Worried about potential for ammonia.

TFP methods are really simple. Do you have a proper test kit? Test Kits Compared
Given that you have added a lot of FC and have little to show for it, it's safe to say you need the SLAM Process.

Reactions: jiyu
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree with Reggie. Something smells fishy. :scratch: If you have a TF-Series test kit (or Taylor K-2006C) we can certainly help you through this, but I foresee a large chlorine demand in the future. Don't add anymore CYA until you are sure to start holding a decent FC level.

"Chlorine lock" is nonsense that pool stores say. Something doesn't add up - you added a TON of chlorine and have nothing to show for it.
How does the pool look? Cloudy? Green? How long was your system down and the pool left without FC? Worried about potential for ammonia.

TFP methods are really simple. Do you have a proper test kit? Test Kits Compared
Given that you have added a lot of FC and have little to show for it, it's safe to say you need the SLAM Process.
Pool is clear. A Few small areas of superficial algae that I’ve battled. This spring it was green. Unfortunately life got busy and we had a ton of leaves and debris within the pool over the winter. I neglected the pool and thats on me. This spring I would shock it and clear it and then it’d turn cloudy and green again. That’s how i found my salt chlorinator wasn’t functioning properly. The only chlorine it was getting was when i was intermittently shocking it but the CYA was zero at that time. The salt chlorinator was down for months until I finally got it replaced. But now the water is clear with just a little superficial Algae.

I currently have the Taylor 2005c. Just read your link. I‘ll be changing that asap. I’m determined to get his right and I am so appreciative of the knowledge here. I went ahead and added the rest of the liquid shock i had on had (6 more gallons)….I’ll get a few more cases tomorrow. I have a feeling that I’m going to need a lot more for the SLAM.

Reactions: reggiehammond
You Got This Good Luck Today GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: Twindad23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Target is 6-8 per SLAM. I’m going to bed. Not staying up all night
SLAM FC is 40% of the CYA level.

swcg_chart.jpg

Do the best you can maintaining the 20 FC for your 50 CYA. We all have lives to tend to, but the more effort you put in, the faster it goes no matter how bad.

Reactions: Twindad23
SLAM FC is 40% of the CYA level.

View attachment 520837

Do the best you can maintaining the 20 FC for your 50 CYA. We all have lives to tend to, but the more effort you put in, the faster it goes no matter how bad.
DUDE…i misread it initially. Time to get out of bed and go add more. SOB! I don’t know if I’ll have enough to get the job done. I only bought 12 cases (4 gallons to a case).

Reactions: Newdude
@Twindad23
I just finished my first SLAM process and all I can say is listen to the advice all these wise people have. When I had doubts or concerns I just added a message to my thread and lots of people were very willing to help out and respond extremely fast too. There were days I could test and add liquid chlorine every hour and then days I could only do it a couple of times.

These people on TFP all have been a great group and very helpful. I wish I would have read more of the forums back in 2021 when I joined because I have learned a lot in the last two weeks on here.

You got this.

Working on that when funds allow but believe me it will happen.
It'll be just as needed when the time comes. When I decided I needed to contribute, I was in a bad way and had to put it off for some time. It helped just as much when things were better for me.

More or less, every donation extends the date that the site goes dark. We recently secured 2024 with an member drive, but funding 2025 starts now. Lol.

Any last one of us is 1 lightning strike / leak / flood / etc from being panicked newb new again. You just KNOW it's gonna wait until Feb 2025. Help fund it when you can. :)

Reactions: hensler74
Morning update….I did get out of bed and add 8 more gallons of shock last night to reach my target of FC 20.
FC this morning was 4.5 :(

added 4 gallons of liquid shock….then FC 13

I just added 4 more gallons. Will retest in 20 minutes.

I will say the pool already looks better. It was clear before but maybe just a slight tinge to it. Now its freaking crystal clear. Will complete this process. I’m committed. Keep the encouragement and advice coming.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.