Decking - minimal heat absorption and good traction?

kit2022

Jul 18, 2023
Florida
Hello,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

We are building a pool in Florida. I need to choose a decking material that a) stays as cool as possible in the sun and b) has decent traction (so kids don't slip). Any recommendations?

Based on my own research, I'm thinking a light-colored travertine might be a good option. Travertine tiles come in 1.25" and 2" thickness. Would a thicker tile stay cooler in the sun, or does thickness not really affect heat absorption?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

We are building a pool in Florida. I need to choose a decking material that a) stays as cool as possible in the sun and b) has decent traction (so kids don't slip). Any recommendations?

Based on my own research, I'm thinking a light-colored travertine might be a good option. Travertine tiles come in 1.25" and 2" thickness. Would a thicker tile stay cooler in the sun, or does thickness not really affect heat absorption?

Thank you very much!
I have medium-light-colored (Fantastico) 1.25" Travertine pavers over a concrete slab. Mid-afternoon in the hot Texas sun it gets hot enough that you do not want to stand in a non-shaded area with dry feet for long. The heat is manageable for us and we love the look, but it is not cool. I can tell you it much cooler than the decorative landscape river rock we have lining the entire deck. Thankfully nobody has to walk on those. I will get my laser thermometer out tomorrow afternoon and report the temperatures at various areas around the pool.

Build thead (I will add pictures of the completed project soon.)
Pool Build Time Lapse

1680038486497.jpeg

We have sand blasted marble and it does not get hot at all. Does not get slippery either. It does cause the kids toes to bleed when they swim all day, but it's new so I am hoping their skin will toughen up. I tell them that it's part of having fun and they don't really complain. :mrgreen:

It does get stains from leaves and other organics. We get a ton of sun on the pavers, and the sun bleaches the stains out in like 48 hours. But the stains might be a concern for shady areas.

***Edit*** disgregard the floater. We are still in startup and the PB is in control.

Attachments

• IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 42
@JupiterFL - What a gorgeous pool!

Excuse my ignorance, but do you happen to know if sand-blasted marble much more expensive than travertine pavers? I wonder if your deck stays cool because it's marble, or because it's such a beautiful white color.

Also - is that real grass or artificial turf? It looks great. Maybe we should do that too...

Thank you. There are a few things I wish I did differently, and would have if I found TFP before we started the build.

The sand blasted marble was $2/sf more than the travertine. I am not sure about the material vs. the color. Although, marble probabaly doesn't come in many colors.

Artificial turf. It's great. No dirtty feet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@revitup and @midlifecrisis - I've been doing some research on Kool Deck. Is it really that much cooler than something like a travertine paver?

Also, do you know of any clear coating that I could put on top of travertine pavers that would have a similar cooling effect?
I can't speak to the comparisons. I went with Kool Deck because we had just built a house and the builder was not happy with the concrete finish on the covered back patio and we walked in one day to a Kool Deck coated patio. Two months later when we were planning the pool, the pool builder suggested we add it to the apron and additional decking since it was new and would be very easy to match.

I made the choice out of convivence, but I don't regret it. It seems to be holding up very well to the heat and intense sun.

@revitup and @midlifecrisis - I've been doing some research on Kool Deck. Is it really that much cooler than something like a travertine paver?

Also, do you know of any clear coating that I could put on top of travertine pavers that would have a similar cooling effect?
IMG_2033.jpeg
The temp depends a lot on the color. That sand color gets to a max of about 110.

I have light colored travertine that I'm very happy with. Advantages:

-Stays cool despite brutal Texas sunshine
-Isn't slippery
-Looks great
-Easy to replace/repair a damaged piece

I have medium-light-colored (Fantastico) 1.25" Travertine pavers over a concrete slab. Mid-afternoon in the hot Texas sun it gets hot enough that you do not want to stand in a non-shaded area with dry feet for long. The heat is manageable for us and we love the look, but it is not cool. I can tell you it much cooler than the decorative landscape river rock we have lining the entire deck. Thankfully nobody has to walk on those. I will get my laser thermometer out tomorrow afternoon and report the temperatures at various areas around the pool
Here are some temperature readings at 4:15p on a bright sunny day just north of Houston, TX. Our Travertine pavers have a lot of color variation. There are pavers thst are mostly white and some that have darker red and brown spots. Overall I would describe the deck as 4 out of 10. I would characterize the air temperature as brutal.
Air temp: 103F
Feels like: 108F
Water temp: 94F (have chiller, waiting on parts to install)
Lighter colored pavers: 121-130F
Darker colored pavers: 134-145F
Landscape river rock: 147-158F
Dark gray metal table : 187F (umbrella closed) 135F (shade)
Polywood lounger: 145F (full sun, cushions stowed)

@pjt - Thanks for your input. Would you be able to let me know what travertine pavers you chose, including the surface finish? (I need to choose the finish of the paver. My options are honed, polished, or tumbled.)

Your pool looks beautiful, if that's what I see in your profile picture!

@KevMo - Thanks for the input! You have a beautiful pool. Very neat design.

May I ask why you opted for 1.25" rather than a 2" travertine paver? I'm wondering if heat absorption was a factor in that decision.
My pavers are installed on a concrete slab. Both my PB and I didn't think the extra expense of the 2" pavers was worth the extra cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.