Dark spots forming in new white plaster

Locks up means that the FC all turns into CC due to chlorosulfamate.

It still works to kill bacteria and algae, but it is more difficult to manage.

You have to do routine OCLT tests to verify that the levels are adequate.

Even if the treatment works perfectly, the copper will still be in the water and it will eventually come back as new stains.

The stains might take days, weeks, months or years to reappear, but they will probably come back.

They will usually start out as blue or turquoise, which are not too bad if they are evenly distributed over the entire surface.

Black stains can pop up at any time and are usually much more noticeable.

Jack's has more experience with treating copper stains, so maybe see what they recommend.

Last edited:

Even if the treatment works perfectly, the copper will still be in the water and it will eventually come back as new stains.

The stains might take days, weeks, months or years to reappear, but they will probably come back.

They will usually start out as blue or turquoise, which are not too bad if they are evenly distributed over the entire surface.

Jack's has more experience with treating copper stains, so maybe see what they recommend.
Thanks for the info, will using Jacks Magic Purple or Magenta help prevent the stains from coming back?

I just read some older posts about the Jacks #2 treatment, seems like it could really mess me up. Our pool will be closed in September, I’m not sure I even have time to work thru the treatment and rebalance process. What a nightmare.

Probably best to consider doing the treatment and drain/refill next spring. You really want to drain and refill with non copper laden water.

Probably best to consider doing the treatment and drain/refill next spring. You really want to drain and refill with non copper laden water.
Ideally, but I live in a pretty rural area, the pool water companies get the water from irrigation wells, I wouldn’t know if it was metal free until it started staining the pool again.

Likely not copper in it. Iron, might be. But if you used that same water to fill with, it does not seem you had iron. And Iron can be filtered out (with some work). Copper, you have to drain the water to get rid of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is possible. Copper is pernicious. It does not leave the pool. Get the right conditions, and it stains.

Could the PB have added enough algicide to cause significant staining?
Yes; it does not take much.

One bottle can cause problems.
I don’t know if they put any in, but I know he had it bc he showed it to me.
If he showed it to you, that means that he uses it.

If he uses it, it's logical to think that he might have added some to the pool.

You could always just ask him if he added any to your pool.

Yes; it does not take much.

One bottle can cause problems.

If he showed it to you, that means that he uses it.

If he uses it, it's logical to think that he might have added some to the pool.

You could always just ask him if he added any to your pool.
It was actually the guy he had start up my pool, I don't think he had a clue what he was doing. Shortly after, the PB filed ch 11 and told us he wasn't going to finish our project, so the relationship is a little strained!

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW

So I used a "small" (5lbs) amount of the Jacks #2 to try some spot treatment. It removed the stains where applied. But now my FC is messed up. I didn't expect to have that issue with the relatively small amount used. I have read other posts where it has taken weeks/months and a lot of chlorine added to get back on track. Is that my only option, to SLAM it back to normal, or will it eventually get back to normal on its own? These stains are really killing my new pool buzz.

Just wait it out because a SLAM will probably make the stains come back.

Do an OCLT to verify that the FC is good.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

FC/CYA Levels

Pool Care Basics

PoolMath

Test Kits Compared

My FC has been reading less than 1 for the last week. And CC as well, if I count it as soon as it turns clear the first time (after sitting it will turn pink again). Last test was FC 0.4, CC 0.8. FC was never an issue before this stain remover, and CC was always 0. I have added liquid bleach a few times in the past week to make sure I have choline in the pool, I was hoping it would have started coming around by now. So the OCLT worries me bc my FC is already so low to begin with. Should I add liquid bleach in the evening, test after and base OCLT off of that? Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.