CYA Zero at open

Depends how much you put in it already. You can add to it if it was a small batch, or add more socks.

The crud needs to go and will likely chew through any FC you add. The sooner its out, the better. Especially with spendy chlorine these days. :)
Happy Tuesday! My CYA is trending up! Iā€™m at about 35 (30). My PH is going up (8.6) I did vacuum and cleaned out filters. Shall I worry about that PH and get that down ? Thank you for the help! šŸ™

Thank you for the help! šŸ™
Puhleaaaaase. Ain't no thing amongst old friends. :)
My CYA is trending up! Iā€™m at about 35 (30).
Ok GREAT. It always rounds up though so if you're seeing 35, call it 40 and it's good.
My PH is going up (8.6) I did vacuum and cleaned out filters. Shall I worry about that PH and get that down ?
Yes. How'd you get 8.6 ? Reverse engineering with the acid demand test ? It may take a couple of tries to lower it when it's above or below range. Test/dose, mix for 15 mins and test again. Repeat until it's in the 7s.

Puhleaaaaase. Ain't no thing amongst old friends. :)

Ok GREAT. It always rounds up though so if you're seeing 35, call it 40 and it's good.

Yes. How'd you get 8.6 ? Reverse engineering with the acid demand test ? It may take a couple of tries to lower it when it's above or below range. Test/dose, mix for 15 mins and test again. Repeat until it's in the 7s.
Soā€¦. Lol. I also bought this handy dandy šŸ™„ new PH measuring instrumentā€¦ along with the new CYA view tube and new agents from TFtestkts. I will try the old fashioned way, lol, when I get home. When you are saying test/dose. I assume use the PH decreased and test every 15, right?

also bought this handy dandy šŸ™„ new PH measuring instrumentā€¦
Ok great. The PH meter is more believable at 8+ than the acid demand test.
When you are saying test/dose. I assume use the PH decreased and test every 15, right?
Correct. Test a 8.2 (etc). Dose to 7.6 per poolmath. Mix for 15 mins and then test to make sure it's now in the 7s. If it's still high, dose per the 2nd test to 7.6. Mix again and then verify.

on to CH for the next project!!
You're probably fine with your 170. or very close. Pentair reccomends a min of 150 and an ideal of 200-400. With such a wide 'ideal' range, there's no need to go deep into it with vinyl.

Also, I don't like the 5 FC. It's playing kissyface with minimum. If today had just a tad higher UV, you'd be at minimum. Treat yo self with some wiggle room. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're probably fine with your 170. or very close. Pentair reccomends a min of 150 and an ideal of 200-400. With such a wide 'ideal' range, there's no need to go deep into it with vinyl.

Also, I don't like the 5 FC. It's playing kissyface with minimum. If today had just a tad higher UV, you'd be at minimum. Treat yo self with some wiggle room. :)
Thanks for the peace of mind šŸ˜Š I always worry about the heating elements corrodingā€¦ againā€¦ but Iā€™ll just watch it. So, we had back to back 90 degree days with a lot of sun. I have no cover on it. Pool math wants me at 3. Pre populated to 5 today. Should I always want to maintain a 6 as my treat? šŸ˜‚

1 FC extra is fine. If you glug 3 more glugs than that by accident, so be it.

But the key is :

Minimum +
Recent daily loss + (a seasonal moving target)
An insurance FC or two.

No exceptions. :)
Makes sense! I was so tired of testing every day and running out of reagents. I think last year was my first season of knowing how much to add each day based on the calculator. But didnā€™t include the daily loss. Iā€™m always happy to learn more each season and enjoy the pool so much more!

My TA is still at 120. Pool Math wants me to decrease PH and then lower TA. New adventure for this season!! šŸ‘šŸ»

Reactions: Newdude
Just manage pH. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.6...rinse and repeat.. TA will come down over time. Trouble Free.
Me, aagainā€¦ I am testing with the view color grade tube with a PH 7.6 this week. However my new digital PH meter is at 8.1 still. If I remember right, you advised to stick with digital meter (which I did calibrate upon opening). Iā€™m afraid of decreasing my PH too low. Shall I give this digital the benefit of the doubt and reduce the PH down more? My TA is now 130 so thatā€™s not going in the right direction.

In other news, CYA and FC are glorious!! šŸ‘šŸ» happy dance šŸ’ƒ

I would trust your drop test...it is accurate. Post a pic and we'll read it.

If you REALLY want to see what is going on, you can reduce your pH by .2 and test with both again. If the drop test is 7.4, then you know meter is off.

I would trust your drop test...it is accurate. Post a pic and we'll read it.

If you REALLY want to see what is going on, you can reduce your pH by .2 and test with both again. If the drop test is 7.4, then you know meter is off.
Thanks. I will post for next reading. My concern is bringing down this TA with PH. If it truly is 7.6 with drop test then shall I lower to 7.0 and rais PH back up? As digital is 8.1, I would be adding Iā€™ve ra pound of dry acid. With drop, 7.6 it requires much less, shall I start small assuming 7.6 and lower to around 7?

1) Why are you worried about TA? Leave it alone and manage your pH. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.6. Rinse and repeat. TA will come down over time.
2) Please don't use dry acid, it adds sulphates...no bueno for el poolo. Use muriatic acid to reduce pH.
3) My suggesting on reducing by .2 was to validate your test wand thingy...which I think is off. Drop test is gold standard.

Thanks. I will post for next reading. My concern is bringing down this TA with PH. If it truly is 7.6 with drop test then shall I lower to 7.0 and rais PH back up? As digital is 8.1, I would be adding Iā€™ve ra pound of dry acid. With drop, 7.6 it requires much less, shall I start small assuming 7.6 and lower to around 7?
Nevermind, just reread your message. Iā€™ll try reducing by .2 and go from there. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø thank you for your patience šŸ‘šŸ»

1) Why are you worried about TA? Leave it alone and manage your pH. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.6. Rinse and repeat. TA will come down over time.
2) Please don't use dry acid, it adds sulphates...no bueno for el poolo. Use muriatic acid to reduce pH.
3) My suggesting on reducing by .2 was to validate your test wand thingy...which I think is off. Drop test is gold standard.
Thank you. I had both Dry acid and mutator acid. But I just added dry (diluted) for your .2 test for my test wand thingy. For my future additions I will use muriatic acid and report back. Thank you again!!

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.