CYA Zero at open

Lablover1211

Jul 4, 2020
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
Surface
Vinyl
Hello-
Closed AG pool with good levels. Opened clear and had to fill half of pool with tap water.
FC 0.4 CC 0.5 PH 7.8 TA 120 CH 170 CYA can’t get anything. I just opened brand new reorder of agent. New tube. Now what do I do?

-lost

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 11
Suggestion - After you add the CYA, I suspect you'll increase the FC with liquid chlorine as well. Add about 5 - 10 ppm of chlorine then test it again in 10 minutes with good water movement just to ensure the FC is holding. If the FC crashes to zero and the CYA seems to as well, let us know.

Since this is your new season, you may require a SLAM Process, so be prepared to lower the pH to about 7.2.

Reactions: Newdude
Suggestion - After you add the CYA, I suspect you'll increase the FC with liquid chlorine as well. Add about 5 - 10 ppm of chlorine then test it again in 10 minutes with good water movement just to ensure the FC is holding. If the FC crashes to zero and the CYA seems to as well, let us know.

Since this is your new season, you may require a SLAM Process, so be prepared to lower the pH to about 7.2.
Thank you. How long after adding stabilizer should I add chlorine?

Welcome BACK LL !!!

CYA loses 3 to 5 ppm a month which is unnoticeable during the season but very noticeable when you walk away from the pool for 5 to 8 months. Then you replaced half the water with 0 CYA fill water, so between the 2, yeah. :)

Run the ammonia test Pat suggested just in case.

You can get the CYA soaking and add chlorine away from it at the same time. Then check the FC 30 mins later to ensure it mostly held. Ammonia will zap all FC and CYA in minutes.

In case this helps ......

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Welcome BACK LL !!!

CYA loses 3 to 5 ppm a month which is unnoticeable during the season but very noticeable when you walk away from the pool for 5 to 8 months. Then you replaced half the water with 0 CYA fill water, so between the 2, yeah. :)

Run the ammonia test Pat suggested just in case.

You can get the CYA soaking and add chlorine away from it at the same time. Then check the FC 30 mins later to ensure it mostly held. Ammonia will zap all FC and CYA in minutes.
Hello again 😁
Thanks for helping me out again. For some reason I thought filling my pool with fresh water would be good for CYA 🤦‍♀️

Is the ammonia test what Texas Splash suggests? With no cya, will pool math calculate a dose age for my chlorine?
Grateful- Peggy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some reason I thought filling my pool with fresh water would be good for CYA 🤦‍♀️
It is when the CYA is high. You probably remember reading that part a bunch. The brain is weird with what it remembers. I dunno. :ROFLMAO:

Is the ammonia test what Texas Splash suggests?
Yes.
With no cya, will pool math calculate a dose age for my chlorine?
Dose 10 FC with no CYA yet. If it's mostly there in 30 mins, then we move on. If there's only 1 to 3 FC left, then you repeat 10FC with 30 min tests until it holds.

Also, switch to 10 ml samples for FC. Each drop is 1/2 FC. It's way close enough for what we need and it saves 2.5x the supplies.

So the sock still has granular in it. Shall I put more in or leave that till it’s gone?
Depends how much you put in it already. You can add to it if it was a small batch, or add more socks.
does it matter if I vacuum now or shall I wait u til the levels come up
The crud needs to go and will likely chew through any FC you add. The sooner its out, the better. Especially with spendy chlorine these days. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.