Cya levels in a fiberglass saltwater pool

jarrad

Aug 7, 2023
New Orleans
I have a saltwater fiberglass pool and am having trouble getting my free chlorine above 1ppm. My cya level is between 30-40ppm and my saltwater generator is only a year old and set at 100%. The sun has been brutal here but I assumed the free chlorine level would still be higher with the cya in its current range.

Anyone experience similar issues?

First and foremost, consider increasing your CYA to around 70ppm assuming your water is clear. For saltwater pools, a higher CYA level helps protect the chlorine from rapid depletion by the sun, ensuring more consistent levels throughout the day.

In the short term, while adjusting CYA, you might think about adding liquid chlorine to boost the chlorine levels and maintain the appropriate FC/CYA Levels

I do have a few questions that might help troubleshoot further:
- Which SWG model are you using?
-How are you testing your water?

Lastly, WELCOME TO TFP!

Hey Jarrad and Welcome !!!

How are you testing ?

We rec 70 CYA for salt pools and many local to you have found they needed 80 to match the insane southern UV demand.

Never raise CYA significantly without proving the water to be algae free. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You run an overnight test and if you lose no FC in the dark then there's no organics.

Then you raise the CYA.

Here's some other notable links
FC/CYA Levels
Pool Care Basics
Test Kits Compared
PoolMath
How Clear is TFP Clear?
Thanks for the response.

I had my water tested over the weekend at the pool store and I tested it again myself this evening and found the results to be similar.

I’ll run the fc overnight test then try and raise the cya after to see if that helps.

First and foremost, consider increasing your CYA to around 70ppm assuming your water is clear. For saltwater pools, a higher CYA level helps protect the chlorine from rapid depletion by the sun, ensuring more consistent levels throughout the day.

In the short term, while adjusting CYA, you might think about adding liquid chlorine to boost the chlorine levels and maintain the appropriate FC/CYA Levels

I do have a few questions that might help troubleshoot further:
- Which SWG model are you using?
-How are you testing your water?

Lastly, WELCOME TO TFP!
I have a generic replacement for the pentair intelli chlor that’s only a year old, ic-20 I believe. As far as water testing I typically do that myself, although I did bring a sample to the pool store just to be sure it was an accurate reading.

I think I will increase the cya some to see if that helps.

Thanks for your response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.