I'm amazed how quick and helpful people are on these forums! So, I have to turn the Smart Stir off myself? How do I know how long to let it mix?
It’ll take about 3 seconds to mix. Then turn it off whenever you like. Though generally the test is done once the color changes.

Some tests will change if you leave them sitting so ignore any changes from that.

Reactions: Newdude
It has two power buttons, the left one runs with an LED on if you need light, the right one runs it with the LED off. Each one runs about a minute, then shuts off. Sometimes I have to restart it in the middle of the TA or CH test. Push the power button a second time shuts it off.
A set of batteries lasts me almost two years.

I'm amazed how quick and helpful people are on these forums! So, I have to turn the Smart Stir off myself? How do I know how long to let it mix?
Add drops while it mixes until the color changes

Reactions: Mdragger88
Consider the TFPro. A great value with the SmartStir.
I just got this and its not as complicated to use and i first thought. I am a week in and very confident in my ability to test. Read the Pro Tip page and then follow the instructions on the laminated card.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a magnetic stirrer. Fill the vial to the desired level, 10 ml or 25 ml normally, add the metal bean/cross, and set on the pad. Turn it on and the metal bean/cross will spin to stir the contents.

Let me ask this, then...how much liquid chlorine (the pool kind) should I be putting into my pool (7,000 gallons only, in-ground, fiberglass) and how often? For the past week I have been putting in 12 ounces a day and no other sources of chlorine, and my test strips still show barely any chlorine. Used the chart on the bottle as a guideline but still no improvement.
Mike, I have 10,000 gallon pool and will add 4 to 8 cups (16 to 32 oz) of liquid chlorine each night depending upon sun and usage. This keeps me at ideal chlorine levels (Houston area)

CYA isn't the curse. The curse is pool stores not telling newbies that chlorine tabs are chocked full of CYA. I'm in my 4th year with my above ground pool and never had any issues with water clarity at all until about a month ago when my water went from crystal clear to Incredible Hulk green in a matter of 36 hours! For 4 years I've been taking my water to the local pool store for testing and they've never once bothered to tell me that my repeated CYA reading of 150 on every visit was a BAD thing! Until a month ago, I'd only ever used chlorine tabs in my skimmer so my CYA level has been undoubtedly out of control for years unbeknownst to me!

But then the perfect storm hit...I discovered TFP at the same time my pool decided to hulk-out! This site is so awesome! I've watched all the videos, read tons of articles, I now use the PoolMath app in conjunction with my K-2006C test kit! After hours on this site, I learned from the FC/CYA chart on this site that even if I did SLAM my pool with enough liquid chlorine to triumph over my world-record CYA level and turn Lou Ferrigno back into Bill Bixby I'd still have to keep my FC level way higher than normal on a daily basis because of my lovely 170 CYA level. NOT!

The answer? $450 for 9000 gallons of new water brought in on the truck just yesterday. My CYA level has since dropped to 45 (but I'm rounding up to 50 for good measure). My water is back to crystal clear finally! I have a cartridge filter so "vacuum to waste" wasn't an option so for the past two weeks I was vacuuming the algae out of the pool with a submersible pump. Sigh...all is better now.

The moral of this story...never use chlorine tabs...ever! My basement cellar has since been stocked with liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, baking soda, Borax...I'm never stepping foot in a pool store again. Thanks TFP! :)

CYA isn't the curse. The curse is pool stores not telling newbies that chlorine tabs are chocked full of CYA. I'm in my 4th year with my above ground pool and never had any issues with water clarity at all until about a month ago when my water went from crystal clear to Incredible Hulk green in a matter of 36 hours! For 4 years I've been taking my water to the local pool store for testing and they've never once bothered to tell me that my repeated CYA reading of 150 on every visit was a BAD thing! Until a month ago, I'd only ever used chlorine tabs in my skimmer so my CYA level has been undoubtedly out of control for years unbeknownst to me!

But then the perfect storm hit...I discovered TFP at the same time my pool decided to hulk-out! This site is so awesome! I've watched all the videos, read tons of articles, I now use the PoolMath app in conjunction with my K-2006C test kit! After hours on this site, I learned from the FC/CYA chart on this site that even if I did SLAM my pool with enough liquid chlorine to triumph over my world-record CYA level and turn Lou Ferrigno back into Bill Bixby I'd still have to keep my FC level way higher than normal on a daily basis because of my lovely 170 CYA level. NOT!

The answer? $450 for 9000 gallons of new water brought in on the truck just yesterday. My CYA level has since dropped to 45 (but I'm rounding up to 50 for good measure). My water is back to crystal clear finally! I have a cartridge filter so "vacuum to waste" wasn't an option so for the past two weeks I was vacuuming the algae out of the pool with a submersible pump. Sigh...all is better now.

The moral of this story...never use chlorine tabs...ever! My basement cellar has since been stocked with liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, baking soda, Borax...I'm never stepping foot in a pool store again. Thanks TFP! :)
Be careful stocking up liquid chlorine as it degrades into plain salt water over time.

Reactions: tseger31
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.