Corroded power connector on Pentair IC40

ntrueman

Oct 31, 2023
Florida
I replaced my Pentair IC40 in April this year and it has just failed with communication error due to water getting into the the connector and corroding the pins. I live in Florida where water and heat is always a problem. I thought the solution was going to be easy. Cut off the old connector and replace with a new one BUT Pentair don't make the connectors available. They told me to spend another $1100 and buy another new one.

Does anyone know where to buy these connectors, I doubt they make them themselves. I'd be happy to buy 100 and make them available to others via ebay if necessary.

Attachments

• connector.JPG
    connector.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to TFP.

Is the female jack on the bottom of the Power Center also corroded?

I would be surprised if the male plug on the cord corroded without damaging the female jack.

If both sides are damaged then you can bypass the Pentair connector and either solder the wires together or use a different connector.

Members did something like that with the IntelliPh that has a connector that burns out...

@Dirk has made a few mods to his system that may be helpful to you.

Last edited:
It's just a standard 4 pin circular DIN connector.

Any supply place should be able to help you identify the correct plug.

1698786050713.png

1698786349938.png

Reactions: Newdude

1698787934397.png

1698787987624.png

1698788125479.png

1698788259612.png

1698788538550.png

1698788658592.png

1698788786804.png

1698788827145.png

1698788870375.png

1698788903021.png

Sounds like James has you on the right track, to find the correct replacement parts. But I would try Marty's suggestion first: get the thing fixed under warranty. If you don't live in the boon docks, Pentair will send an authorized repairman to your home and fix or replace whatever needs fixing or replacing.

As Allen implies, you could replace both the male and female parts with just about anything with four conductors, or just solder the wires, but unless you use the correct parts then that'll orphan the next cell you buy. The cells wear out, and then you buy a new one to replace it. You want the new cell to plug in to a factory receptacle for EZPZ replacement.

Reactions: JamesW
I think that you need part number 206429-1 and the backshell and 4 pins.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/206429-1/19358

Size 11 Backshell Included in AMP CPC Connector Kit

1698792177386.png

IntelliChlor cells are failing here often and you can probably get a failed cell to use as a parts donor for the connector.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: ntrueman
Welcome to TFP.

Is the female jack on the bottom of the Power Center also corroded?

I would be surprised if the male plug on the cord corroded without damaging the female jack.

If both sides are damaged then you can bypass the Pentair connector and either solder the wires together or use a different connector.

Members did something like that with the IntelliPh that has a connector that burns out...

@Dirk has made a few mods to his system that may be helpful to you.
Yes but you can buy a replacement cable & socket for the power center (which I did), so its the plug on the cell I'm looking for now.

You can cut off the connector and use a cable gland to make a secure connection into the box and then just connect the wires directly.

Just make sure you get the correct size gland and get the wiring correct.

View attachment 538463

Thanks that looks like it, great I'll order a few.

You can cut off the connector and use a cable gland to make a secure connection into the box and then just connect the wires directly.

Just make sure you get the correct size gland and get the wiring correct.

View attachment 538463

Oh sorry I misunderstood. No I need to be able to disconnect it in case a future replacement is needed. I did look at other replacement waterproof connectors BUT then I would always have to fit a connector to any new cell I purchased. I wanted to source the standard one pentair use.

Reactions: Dirk
View attachment 538461

Thanks very much I have ordered some to try. Will post my results.

You can get some 1/4” spade connectors and cut the 4 wires inside and use the spade connectors.

Leave the female connector in place and use spade connectors later to reconnect the female to the wires.

You will need 8 female and 8 male 1/4” connectors plus a cable gland.

Or just get a 206429-1, backshell and 4 pins.

1698799935597.png

1698799879254.png

No I need to be able to disconnect it in case a future replacement is needed. I did look at other replacement waterproof connectors BUT then I would always have to fit a connector to any new cell I purchased. I wanted to source the standard one pentair use.
That's correct. That's what I was saying. You want the original parts, otherwise when you replace the cell and cut the brand new cable to work with your retrofit, you'll void your warranty.

I tried to but they would not accept it. What do you do when they just say no?
Call back and try again. And again if necessary. Their tech support people have discretion. Call back to get a different one that has a different notion about acceptable reasons for repair.

Or just call back and give them less info. Just say it's new and doesn't work. "Please send someone out to fix it." They might give you some troubleshooting steps, perform those, or pretend to, or tell them you already did. You get the gist.

The guy that will come to your house won't be a Pentair employee, just some pool guy who has earned Pentair authorized repairman status. He won't care about giving you a new cell and connector, it's not his money.

IMO, that wouldn't be anything unethical. Pentair uses inferior connectors. Many of us have been stung by them. They corrode and cause all sorts of problems, that Pentair foists onto the consumer. It's not unfair that they have to eat if once in a while for their penny-pinching, cost-cutting decisions.

Those connectors are part of a pool equipment system, intended to work outside in the elements. When they fail at their intended use, during the warranty period, that's on Pentair, not you.

Sounds like James has you on the right track, to find the correct replacement parts. But I would try Marty's suggestion first: get the thing fixed under warranty. If you don't live in the boon docks, Pentair will send an authorized repairman to your home and fix or replace whatever needs fixing or replacing.

As Allen implies, you could replace both the male and female parts with just about anything with four conductors, or just solder the wires, but unless you use the correct parts then that'll orphan the next cell you buy. The cells wear out, and then you buy a new one to replace it. You want the new cell to plug in to a factory receptacle for EZPZ replacement.
Yes I had considered using an alternative 4 pin plug but hessitated for the reason you stated (future compatibility). James has certainly provided multiple sources for the right connector and I have order samples to check this out. I have not been very lucky with Pentair at all, thier response on multiple issues has been nothing short of useless. If I can resolve without involving them further I will do that.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful!!!!

Reactions: Dirk and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.