roba74

In The Industry
Aug 14, 2023
I recently took on a commercial pool and have been running into trouble maintaining proper balance. The site has 2 Stenner pumps, one for chlorine and one for acid, which I diluted today 1 to 1. I have the chlorine pump set at it's max setting and the acid pump at it's lowest but every time I arrive and test the water, chlorine is at a 0, pH is around a 6 and alkalinity is at a 0. I balanced the pool again this morning and had nearly perfect numbers before leaving the site. I went back this evening and the numbers were back to where they were when I arrived. I am in Florida and the sun is intense so I expect some trouble with chlorine but i've never seen the pH and alkalinity dip so low because of it. The pump itself is pulling roughly a gallon a week of diluted acid and this is a 36,000 gallon pool. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP.

Give us a full rundown on the equipment in place.

Are the Stenner tanks on a timer to dispense or are they on a probe based chemical dispensing system.

I recently took on a commercial pool and have been running into trouble maintaining proper balance. The site has 2 Stenner pumps, one for chlorine and one for acid, which I diluted today 1 to 1. I have the chlorine pump set at it's max setting and the acid pump at it's lowest but every time I arrive and test the water, chlorine is at a 0, pH is around a 6 and alkalinity is at a 0. I balanced the pool again this morning and had nearly perfect numbers before leaving the site. I went back this evening and the numbers were back to where they were when I arrived. I am in Florida and the sun is intense so I expect some trouble with chlorine but i've never seen the pH and alkalinity dip so low because of it. The pump itself is pulling roughly a gallon a week of diluted acid and this is a 36,000 gallon pool. Any suggestions?
How are you testing the water?

Welcome to TFP.

Give us a full rundown on the equipment in place.

Are the Stenner tanks on a timer to dispense or are they on a probe based chemical dispensing system.
It's a very basic setup with a Jandy variable speed pump, the 2 Stenner pumps and a DE filter.

The Stenner pumps a probe based and I verified that there is chemical coming out of the injector.

Something doesn't add up there. 1 gal of diluted (or 1/2 gal of undiluted) acid should reduce TA in a 36000 gal pool by 7ppm.

How are you testing the water?

What is your CYA level?

You say the stenners dose based on probes. Have you checked the probes' calibration?

What happens when you manually (not with the pump) add 10ppm worth of liquid chlorine (about 3.5 gal of 10% liquid chlorine), and test FC 30 minutes later?

After chasing lines behind a bunch of junk in the utility room where everything is installed, I found that the pump labeling was backwards. My guess is the previous company taking care of the pool got them mixed up when they were last replaced but who knows. Thanks for the responses though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.