LSI Low in Winter - Adding Chemicals with no Circulation

oking64

Mar 12, 2024
New Jersey
I winterized my in ground pool, and test the water throughout the winter. My LSI has recently gotten low due to lots of rainfall diluting the Alkalinity and Hardness (joys of a mesh cover), and I want to add some alkalinity up and/or calcium hardness.

Is it safe to do so without having the pump able to circulate the water? I'm worried about the chemicals not dissolving causing problems/staining on my plaster. I have an in-ground, gunite pool 32k gallons.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Your testing is not valid with the water stratified and not circulating to be mixed. The water with CH and Alkalinity is at the bottom on the pool with rainwater on top of it.

Do not add any chemicals until a pump is running, you have good tests, and the chemicals can be mixed.

Welcome to TFP.

Your testing is not valid with the water stratified and not circulating to be mixed. The water with CH and Alkalinity is at the bottom on the pool with rainwater on top of it.

Do not add any chemicals until a pump is running, you have good tests, and the chemicals can be mixed.
Thanks! I put my water bottle at the end of a pole and got water from the bottom of the pool.

IF you thought the water test was good and I do in fact have low LSI. Do you still think don't add pools until I have the pool circulating?