Closing products needed

You need chlorine and maybe algecide. Those kits tend to be heavy on magic potions.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove nothing is brewing. Have a quick SLAM Process if needed.

If it's not needed, or upon completion of SLAM, the two choices are to close at SLAM FC with no algecide, or drift down to half SLAM and add algecide. I've done both with success. We're pretty much split down the middle and I honestly believe nobody is wrong.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks I’ll use a pool guy to close everything but putting in chemicals. I don’t like blowing the lines and taking apart the SWG .

I’ll read the two attachments tomorrow to see if I should do the whole thing. But I doubt that I’ll change my mind

Hopefully you're not closing yet as there's too much time for algae to kick in.
No.

But what the general recommendation as the proper time to close. Since I will be paying a pro to do it .

I was surprised to see one of the above comments indicate that algecide is used in closings. I though TFP method is not to use products like that??

I was surprised to see one of the above comments indicate that algecide is used in closings
That's the only time we reccomend it. And even then half of us still don't use it. We are hardcore against its regular use during the season. It's a common sell by the pool store to either make up for improper care or as preemptive care for improper care.

When you maintain your chlorine levels, you don't need extras. If you have time to add extras IMO, you can add the chlorine in the first place.
But what the general recommendation as the proper time to close
When the water temp is under 60. It can hang on the fence for a while, or warm up again a couple weeks after closing. It's not an exact science and it's just as important to open early and get a jump on it.

Reactions: gnhand
That's the only time we reccomend it. And even then half of us still don't use it. We are hardcore against its regular use during the season. It's a common sell by the pool store to either make up for improper care or as preemptive care for improper care.

When you maintain your chlorine levels, you don't need extras. If you have time to add extras IMO, you can add the chlorine in the first place.

When the water temp is under 60. It can hang on the fence for a while, or warm up again a couple weeks after closing. It's not an exact science and it's just as important to open early and get a jump on it.
That gives me the temp to shoot for . Is it the same for opening? And should I put 3” pucks in a floater over the winter?

When I was closing myself a few years ago ( without TFP knowledge) I would wait as long as I could. Usually by the end of October. And I opened to get pump running in early April ( live in noth east) . So my water temp was probably where you suggested- just dumb luck.

Reactions: newdude
So my water temp was probably where you suggested- just dumb luck.
I rolled for 6.5 years on dumb luck. It's my favorite kind. 😁

At both houses the pool was obnoxiously front and center (err. Rear and center) and I wanted to delay looking at the trampoline as long as possible. The aesthetic side of things lined up with the science side of things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I rolled for 6.5 years on dumb luck. It's my favorite kind. 😁

At both houses the pool was obnoxiously front and center (err. Rear and center) and I wanted to delay looking at the trampoline as long as possible. The aesthetic side of things lined up with the science side of things.
So now my pool is crystal clear again. The CYA is between 50 & 60. My fc this morning was 26.5 a little over SLAM target. My plan is to let it drift back down over the next few days. I will do OCLT tonight. And agin each night till it passes.

since the fc is over 10 I know that ph is inaccurate. The last ph reading before slam was 7.0. When should I add soda ash to raise it?

Are any or all of the other readings accurate or inaccurate- specifically CYA, salt, alkalinity & ch?

I want to raise my salt to 3200 for Hayward T-15 SWG. It has been turned off sinc SLAM was started.
I was advised to wait for slam to be done. Can I add salt today? That why I’m asking if salt readings are accurate at SLAM fc levels

I see you’re also from NY. I’m from the island- are you upstate or where?

Last edited:
I want to raise my salt to 3200 for Hayward T-15 SWG. I was advised to wait for slam to be done. Can I add salt today? That why I’m asking if salt readings are accurate at SLAM fc levels
Yes. Everything but the PH is valid above 10 FC. You can adjust salt at any time. The others can always wait as they're long term concerns and with a SLAM afoot, folks have bigger fish to fry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.