Changing sand in Hayward filter question

what type of cya do you add in a slam? I've used the granules for general purposes in the past but I see that a fast acting liquid is available. Would a liquid application work better (ie faster) given what my objective is?

When I calculated the Pool Math formula, my volume of required CL was 3.6 litres to achieve 5 PPM.. Thought I would require more. Does that sound right for a 24K gal pool?
If that is 10% chlorine it sound’s about right.

So I've just taken a reading after 2nd day of SLAM:

FC - 7.5

Cl2 - 1

CYA - 43

I know the CYA is good. But the Free & Combined chlorine seems high, doesn't it?

Should I back off and adding more liquid chlorine?

Btw, my pool is CRYSTAL CLEAR!

Next steps? When can I swim? It's 87 and beautiful here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I've just taken a reading after 2nd day of SLAM:

FC - 7.5

But the Free & Combined chlorine seems high, doesn't it?
I don't think you understand what the
SLAM Process is telling you to do.

You should be dosing chlorine to reach the SLAM level for your CYA, which is read as 50, since you always round up to the next line when testing. See the
FC/CYA Levels chart.

Re-check FC levels several times per day and add chlorine to get back up to SLAM level. Repeat until you meet all 3 exit criteria.

Reactions: reggiehammond
I don't think you understand what the
SLAM Process is telling you to do.

You should be dosing chlorine to reach the SLAM level for your CYA, which is read as 50, since you always round up to the next line when testing. See the
FC/CYA Levels chart.

Re-check FC levels several times per day and add chlorine to get back up to SLAM level. Repeat until you meet all 3 exit criteria.
I guess I missed some points.. I didn't expect this to be done already. So my CC is 1 which is above the .5 maximum. I'll need to adjust.

This is what I found on one of the TFP videos (Pool Chemicals for beginners) and based on this chart, my FC level for 50 CYA is 20, correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 4.29.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 4.29.48 PM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 3
Well I pretty much confirmed that some sand is getting in during this SLAM process. I have been frequently vacuuming the bottom with my Polaris and every time I pull it out to clean the filter, I've found sand in the basket. I wonder if I should start another thread for that problem or maybe someone can address it here? I guess I have to get into the filter and remove the sand and check to see the conditions of the laterals?

The water has been crystal clear for at least 48 hours now. I've been checking the FC twice per day. I've manage to get the FC close to the 20 mark consistently for 3 days now. I will perform the OCLT tonight.

Now I have to address the sand entering the pool issue! Never stops, does it?!

Thanks for all your help! Very much appreciated!

After several days of Slam I decided tonight to figure out if I need to do an OCLT. The video instructions (posted in this thread) state that the CC level needs to be determined. When I did the FC test my FC level was 3.5 (l have not added chlorine the last two days and it has been sunny). Going on to the next step to figure out the CC, I added 5 drops of CR0003 as per instructions. The water did not turn pink, therefore I believe there is no CC - am I understanding this correctly? So 'O' CC is ideal, according to the instruction booklet that came with my Taylor test kit. As a result of the zero reading, I should be performing an OCLT as I understand this. Please correct me if I've erred! I am going to go ahead and do the OCLT since the sun has set here. Apparently morning readings must be done before the sun hits the pool...

After several days of Slam I decided tonight to figure out if I need to do an OCLT. The video instructions (posted in this thread) state that the CC level needs to be determined. When I did the FC test my FC level was 3.5 (l have not added chlorine the last two days and it has been sunny). Going on to the next step to figure out the CC, I added 5 drops of CR0003 as per instructions. The water did not turn pink, therefore I believe there is no CC - am I understanding this correctly? So 'O' CC is ideal, according to the instruction booklet that came with my Taylor test kit. As a result of the zero reading, I should be performing an OCLT as I understand this. Please correct me if I've erred! I am going to go ahead and do the OCLT since the sun has set here. Apparently morning readings must be done before the sun hits the pool...
All correct.

Reactions: Splaker
Just finished the OCLT. I recorded drop from 8 to 7. I do have one concern though. I find that the water will go from clear at the conclusion of the drops then a slight pink will return to the tested water. This happens, invariably, every time I perform these tests.. a bit frustrating. I do vigorously stir the test tube but I find that my powder is a little bit lumpy.. 99.9% dissolves but I do notice a slight tiny piece undissolved usually. I wonder if this tiny piece dissolves a few moments later and triggers this slight pink appearance to return? In this case, should I add more of the drops? Or am I overthinking this?

Anyhow the video states that a drop of one or more means a loss of FC if I am not mistaken. Should I be concerned by a drop of 1?

Thanks

There should always be a bit of undissolved powder in your sample
The test ends when the sample goes clear the first time. Don't worry about it turning pink again if you let it sit - that's happens to everyone's samples.

I would run the ONCL test again tonight just to be sure, but yes a 1FC drop is a pass on that test.

Reactions: Splaker
The water has been crystal clear for at least 48 hours now. I've been checking the FC twice per day. I've manage to get the FC close to the 20 mark consistently for 3 days now. I will perform the OCLT tonight.

Now I have to address the sand entering the pool issue! Never stops, does it?!

Thanks for all your help! Very much appreciated!
Your FC going from 20 to 3.5 in ~3 days is concerning. Where you checking FC during that time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.