Lake Worth/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Does the water need to trickle over the top of my champagne spa to effectively exchange spa water when in pool mode?

My pool builder originally set my filter pump to 2750 RPM x 9 hours. At this RPM, water trickles over all 4 sides of the spa.

I have been experimenting with different pump RPM rates to save on electricity costs. I am running 1750 x 8 hours and 2750 x 2 hours. At 1750 RPM, the water barely trickles over 3 sides of the champagne spa. SWG works fine at 1750, water is clear.

Is the 1750 RPM exchanging spa water adequately without the overflow? Is the overflow just a cosmetic effect?

Thanks for all of the great advice!

Jim

Pictures of your equipment pad and plumbing set you will help, so post if can. It's not really a pump speed issue. Your return water is split between pool and spa at valving at your pad. The amount going to spa returns can be adjusted from 100% of all water return to -0-%. There's a couple of methods used, and maybe an option with your automation to regulate the exchange on timed cycles instead of all the time in order to limit aeration of water causing pH rise.

The overflow is more functional than cosmetic. Yes, it's a waterfall, but the spa is part of your pool, and without overflow the water cannot be exchanged, chlorinated, and filtered. But, it's not required that this exchange be 100% of time of pump run but does require spa water to be exchanged several times per day.

Thanks for the reply, here is my equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    686.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1198.jpeg
    IMG_1198.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 9
The manual valve between pool return and spa return is currently set 50/50 between both. That's your spa makeup line. Option 1 is to turn that handle clockwise some, closing more of pool return and sending more water to spa returns. That will increase spa overflow at any speed. For a given speed, adjust likewise till you get the spa overflow you deem sufficient. But, as stated, this will mean that at all times the pump is running the overflow will be flowing, and the constant aeration will contribute to pH rise.

Option 2. Close that makeup valve to spa returns by turning counterclockwise. Makeup line to spa will be shut off, no overflow, all return to pool. Then, program your automation panel to run "Spa Overflow" mode at least 3 times per day for at least 15 minutes. I run mine 30 minutes in morning, 30 minutes at noon, and 2 hours in evening only because we sit after work on back patio and like the fall. Spa overflow mode will use your actuator valves coming into and out of pump to open pool suction, close pool return, and open spa returns. All water will circulate from pool to spa and overflow back to pool.

I don’t think I have a specific “spa overflow mode“, just a spa mode, which isolates the spa from the pool completely. Here is a picture of what I have. Could I accomplish the same thing by just increasing the RPMs three times a day as you suggested to empty the spa more vigorously? Thanks again for all your assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_1276.png
    IMG_1276.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1275.png
    IMG_1275.png
    55 KB · Views: 3
The manual valve between pool return and spa return is currently set 50/50 between both. That's your spa makeup line. Option 1 is to turn that handle clockwise some, closing more of pool return and sending more water to spa returns. That will increase spa overflow at any speed. For a given speed, adjust likewise till you get the spa overflow you deem sufficient. But, as stated, this will mean that at all times the pump is running the overflow will be flowing, and the constant aeration will contribute to pH rise.

Option 2. Close that makeup valve to spa returns by turning counterclockwise. Makeup line to spa will be shut off, no overflow, all return to pool. Then, program your automation panel to run "Spa Overflow" mode at least 3 times per day for at least 15 minutes. I run mine 30 minutes in morning, 30 minutes at noon, and 2 hours in evening only because we sit after work on back patio and like the fall. Spa overflow mode will use your actuator valves coming into and out of pump to open pool suction, close pool return, and open spa returns. All water will circulate from pool to spa and overflow back to pool.
I do have a “spa fill valve” settling , is that the same as spa water overflow? If so, I’m not sure how I would program that as that valve set does not appear in the menus.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 4
I do have a “spa fill valve” settling , is that the same as spa water overflow? If so, I’m not sure how I would program that as that valve set does not appear in the menus.
No, that is not the same and cannot be programmed.

So I press the button on the panel that says AUX 3 to activate it, then I set up a schedule using aux 3? Sorry for all the questions as I’m new with this.

So I press the button on the panel that says AUX 3 to activate it, then I set up a schedule using aux 3? Sorry for all the questions as I’m new with this.
First you have to enable SPILLOVER mode with the dipswitch.

Then you will see SPILLOVER in your app and you can manually turn it on and off using SPILLOVER/AUX3 or schedule it to run when you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much, I’ll give it a try.

Then you will see SPILLOVER in your app and you can manually turn it on and off using SPILLOVER/AUX3 or schedule it to run when you want.

Is there a specific RPM that spa overflow will or should run at, or will my base 1750 RPM work?

Is there a specific RPM that spa overflow will or should run at, or will my base 1750 RPM work?

That is pool specific. You just have to try various speeds and see what gives you the overflow you desire.

I guess if you wanted to get specific, down to an actual "full turn" for your setup, you could play by using the service buttons on the panel and push the drain button to drain spa back to pool and then reverse that by pushing fill button, timing this at a specific rpm. Note, your service buttons will put you back on pump display speed settings, so will have to use that for pump speed changes. You're maybe talking 500-600 gallons, so 15 minutes or so will put you very close, usually, for a mid speed pump run.

Last edited:

I did it! It worked great. I set up 3 1/2 hour schedules during the day for spillover mode. I found 2750 RPMs does a nice job of cascading over the champagne spa edges. I didn’t turn off the 50-50 to the spa yet but will experiment with that. I haven’t figured out how to get it to show up on the one touch menu yet, but it does show up in the starting menu in the other equipment setting.

Thanks again.
Jim

Wherever AUX3 was in the OneTouch it should be there. I don’t know if the OneTouch changes the name from AUX3 to SPILLOVER.

So when you completely shut off the 50% portion of flow that usually goes to the spa, does that make the spa water stagnant, no fill no empty, for the time between spillover mode.? I assume that after doing this, the champagne spa is not filled completely then, as it does now, thus, no spill over, no aeration. Thanks for helping me get my arms around this. Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.