Can’t keep up with the algae

B.espi

Jan 27, 2021
Fontana CA
Hello, I have a small pool about 10,000 gallons. I brush it every day and out about 1/2- 1/4 gallon of chlorine everyday to keep it at 3-5 parts. I hit it with acid about once every week and a half to keep ph under 7.8.
and I test it every other week to make sure all other levels stay about the same.
TA 83
CH 326
CA 68
Iron and copper are at zero
I’ve read to never treat for phosphates but does that really mean never never? They seem to double every time I test. Currently at 1500.
If I miss one day of scrubbing and adding chlorine there is a thin layer of green over the walls of my pool. Does that sound right? Is there anything else I can do to keep the Algae more at bay?
I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to TFP!!!

First make sure you have a proper test kit. Here are the ones we recommend. Link-->Test Kits Compared

I would add enough liquid chlorine to add 3ppm per day until your test kit arrives.

Print this out, read it 3 times, keep it with you. When your kit arrives follow this process...Link-->SLAM Process

Proof is in the pudding...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: B.espi
+1 to what PoolStored said.

Lots of people get overwhelmed by the various metrics. With Algae, the only thing you care about is Chlorine and keeping it at the right level based on your CYA. If you have algae, it just means your chlorine was too low. pH, TA, phosphates, CH, etc. do not have any bearing on you having algae or not.

If I miss one day of scrubbing and adding chlorine there is a thin layer of green over the walls of my pool
The sun burns off 4 ppm of FC a day this time of year, maybe even more in SoCal.

You need to dose that much daily (or double dose to skip a day) over min FC for your CYA level. You need to test as often as you dose, with one of the test kits Poolstored linked, or you'll never get it right. The pool store LOVES when you don't get it right. They exist to help you get it wrong, then sell you the cure. Except, it either doesn't work or it temporarily masks the problem, never addressing thr root cause of improper testing and dosing. Anywho, once we get you all fixed up, here's the levels you'll need to follow to be sanitary.

lc_chart.jpg

Welcome!

Since we're neighbors I'll just give you the lowdown. Get a good test kit from TFtestkits.net, post your results, and we will guide you through to a clear pool. The initial investment will save you thousands in the future. Trust me!

If I miss one day of scrubbing and adding chlorine there is a thin layer of green over the walls of my pool. Does that sound right? Is there anything else I can do to keep the Algae more at bay?
This is not right. With the proper FC/CYA ratio you should only need to brush once a week (and there will never be any green or haze). Your current process is not eradicating all of the algae and it's coming back. Get one of the recommended test kits (TFP Pro is best or TFP pro salt if you have a salt pool), and the experts here will make your algae a thing of the past for good, and you will save a whole bunch of time and money in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.