can an EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 run 5 valve actuators?

This is 24vAC and yes, there are three wires going to the actuator.

One is common, the other two (switch legs) are activated by the relay. Only one of the two switch legs will have power to it at a time.

Dan,

Can you tell if the wires that connect your relay to the 24V power supply are spliced in to the wire that connects the power supply to the circuit board or is it directly connected to the terminals on the power supply along with the wires that connect to the circuit board? I opened up my load center and pulled off the circuit board panel and saw that there is not a lot of room to work around the power supply so splicing may work out easier but don't want to mess anything up. Also, when you say that one is common and the other 2 are for the 2 switch legs, where does the common wire go? To the ground/neutral bar in the load center?

Lastly, on my actuators there are 3 wires (red, black, and white). I'm assuming that the red and black wires are the 2 switch legs and the white is the common wire.

First off, don't confuse the common of 120v AC with the common for the 24vAC. There should not be any high voltage connections connected to the valve actuators or the relay.

To answer your questions.

Q) Can you tell if the wires that connect your relay to the 24V power supply are spliced in to the wire that connects the power supply to the circuit board or is it directly connected to the terminals on the power supply along with the wires that connect to the circuit board?
A) The wires are spliced using crimp lug connectors. All of the splices are in the upper part of the load center where the low voltage wires are. Wires go down and back to the relay in the high voltage part of the load center but they do not share any connections with wires down in the high voltage area.

Q) I opened up my load center and pulled off the circuit board panel and saw that there is not a lot of room to work around the power supply so splicing may work out easier but don't want to mess anything up.
A) Yes, it is snug, which is why it looks like splices make sense.

Q) Also, when you say that one is common and the other 2 are for the 2 switch legs, where does the common wire go? To the ground/neutral bar in the load center?
A) NO. do not connect any of this to the on the ground/neutral bar in the load center. This is high voltage (120v). This would at best blow breakers, more likely blow the circuit board and could cause a fire or other really bad things.

I think this is where the disclaimer starts ... if you are not comfortable with high voltage wiring, engage a competent electrician, otherwise the risk of damage, death or serious injury ...

When the rain clears up, I'll try to take a better picture.

Q) Lastly, on my actuators there are 3 wires (red, black, and white). I'm assuming that the red and black wires are the 2 switch legs and the white is the common wire.

A) I would find the documentation for actuator.

This sounds like the same type of setup for the jandy relay board. Correct me if I'm wrong here...you need a 2 pin wire connected to an empty relay slot and the other end connected to the midtex unit. Additionally you need a power supply wire connecting to the 24V slot on the power supply and again, the other end to the midtex unit. And lastly, the actuator wire connected to the midtex as well.

My only question is, are there connectors built into the midtex unit (like the jandy relay board) so that the actuator cord, power supply and connection to the relay slot plug right into it or do you have to cut off the mini plug on the end and strip wires to connect them via screw downs or some other type of connection. Also, do you know where to get connector wires with either 2 pin or 3 pin plugs built in already (assuming they can be used on the midtex unit).

Thanks for all the help!!!

Did you get the extra actuator working using the relay or jandy board? U have any pictures?

Any idea if it will power 2 actuators at the same time?

Thanks,
Doug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.