IC40 Pentair IntelliChlor Question

hamila832003

Mar 27, 2024
Dallas
Pool Size
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just installed a replacement IC40. No leaks, the lights are on and it's connected to my EasyTouch panel. However, when i increase the percentage on the Sanitizer output via the EasyTouch panel, the "Cell" light never turns on, either steady or blinking nor is the cold water light on.

My previous IC40 has been out of service for a few weeks, After installation today, i added salt and assumed it would begin working.

Can anyone help troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
A

The IC40 operates on a five minute cycle. For example, if you have the output set at 20%, the cell light will illuminate for one minute (cell produces FC) and then the cell light extinguishes and it idles for four minutes. Then the cycle repeats itself. What % output did you select? Is the flow light green? Is it following the cycle I described? Is the salt light green? Post a picture of your cell.

The IC40 operates on a five minute cycle. For example, if you have the output set at 20%, the cell light will illuminate for one minute (cell produces FC) and then the cell light extinguishes and it idles for four minutes. Then the cycle repeats itself. What % output did you select? Is the flow light green? Is it following the cycle I described? Is the salt light green? Post a picture of your cell.
Here is a picture of current status. Output is set to 60%. I would have expected a solid green light next to "Cell", but that's never happening for any amount of time.

Attachments

• IMG_9580.jpg
    IMG_9580.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 8
The salt cell was out for about two weeks. My pool company should have been maintaining levels of chlorine manually? Now that the salt cell is installed do i just need to add a lot of salt to get this thing running again via salt cell?

Sorry for any ignorant questions, trying to figure all of this out.

The salt light is red. The cell won't produce FC if the salt is <2600. What does your EasyTouch panel indicate for salt level? What is the actual salt level of the water measured with a K-1766 test kit?

Ham,

As stated above, the cell will not work if the cell even "thinks" the salt is below 2600 ppm..

You need a salt test so you can tell what the "actual" salt level is... Then you compare the Actual salt level with the "reported by the cell" salt level..

If both the actual and reported salt levels are low, then you need to add salt to bring the level up to about 3200..

If the actual salt level is say 3200 and your cell is reporting 2600, then most likely the thermistor inside flow switch assembly is bad.

Keep in mind that when you add a lot of salt, you need to wait 24 hours before turning on the cell or the salt reading will not be accurate.

Edit.. Never trust the Reported salt level, without knowing your Actual salt level...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: pjt
Okay, first of all, really appreciate your responses. Without testing the salt levels yet, i think it's likely there is very little salt in there if any beyond what i just added. The salt cell has been out for a few weeks now and it's been raining a lot (not sure if that matters.)

I just replaced the salt cell. I thought there would be levels to at least attempt to output chlorine, but i am starting to not think so.

My next steps will be to get a proper salt level ready and then add bags of salt accordingly.

I might have a few more questions for you nice people.

Reactions: pjt and Jimrahbe
Do you know the volume of your pool? PoolMath will help you add the correct amount of salt (and other chemicals too).

If you're going to stay around, fill out your signature when you have a minute.

Volume is 14000 - 15000. Again i think I need to first measure the salt levels now and likely add a handful of bags of salt based on what that reading is for the IC40 to start working.

Does that sound right to you all?

I will definitely fill out my signature shortly.

I’d like to safely transition over to doing all of my own pool maintenance over the next few months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support