Aquapure 1400 121 Error

Oh - Ha - he was confused how I had chlorine in the water he measured it as a "3". I told him I would start adding chlorine probably tomorrow since it was getting low. And he says no I mean why do you have chlorine now since this is not working are you adding it? Your chlorine level is fine. I had to explain to him I normally run it 7-8 and the SWG has been producing a little up until about a week ago and from that point has been steadily losing about 1 a day. Thought we were going to get into a long discussion about proper chlorine levels but that never materialized.

How long to warranty claims take? It has been over a week now and nothing. I probably should call Jandy myself and see if a claim has even been entered. I called the company 3x already.

I agree I am calling them now. Any company that works as a rep for Jandy should stock at least one of these. And even if they didn't, it has been over a week they could have sent it by now. I hate incompetence.

Honestly I think the issue is the cable. The cell looks near perfect. I might try just putting my new cable on and seeing if it works again. I'll still replace it back with the old one and take the new cell when they finally bring it.

So I just got off the phone with Jandy support and he said there isn't a claim submitted yet. Wt...???? So I asked if he could just send the cell to me and I would put it in. I pleaded with him saying I needed to close the pool. He said he had no problem doing that but wanted to contact them first to make sure they didn't send out 2 cells. He hopefully will call me back and send the cell directly to me.

Reactions: JamesW
The state of customer service really is at an all time low. I just called Jandy and the guy from Friday didn't put any notes at all in the system and this guy says they wouldn't be able to send anything directly to me anyway. He was the guy that I originally spoke with way back on the 10th that did put notes in the system. He put me on hold for awhile though and when he came back he said they would go ahead and send the parts direct to me. He put an order in for a new cell and new DC cable. But, he said they are back-ordered for probably a month and maybe more. He thought this was perhaps why the repair place never got back to me but they could at least of called and told me the status. Now I think for sure I will replace my DC cable and see if the cell starts working again.

Good news! I got the new cell in, hooked it up, set it at 100%, and away it went! The output DC amps/current, however, is the same as it was before. I'll run it until the free chlorine is at 25 since I am closing in 2 weeks anyway. No more bleach! Ha, of course literally TODAY I bought 4 gallons of bleach.

I will take apart the old cell and document/photograph the entire thing with a writeup. Hopefully I can find the corroded part and repair it. Seems like the old cell should have a lot of life left in it. It looks perfect no calcium deposits at all and it only ran at 50% for 4 months/season for 3 seasons.

@JamesW

1602535505141.png
1602535520821.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you! Well it appears then they both have a few issues. I wonder if this is some sort of design flaw...

Our builder specifically uses Jandy, I did mention Pentair which they said they could install but they mostly do Jandy equipment. They are doing the Nature Fusion 2 system for free so I was leaning Jandy to get this deal. Of course not using the mineral cartridge.

Something to think about....keep fusion or request aquapure 1400.

I just checked the free chlorine 24 hours after installing the new cell. It went from about a 2 to around 8. This thing is cranking!

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
I took apart the cell and here is what I found.

When I pressed the terminals pins out of the cap, there was moisture in that area along with a little corrosion. So the orings had been leaking. It is sealed with 2 orings on each of the electrodes (6 total). The center post had totally corroded in half, which is why this cell failed. The corrosion point seems to be a multi piece electrode and it corrodes where those pieces are joined, at the place where it enters the cap area. You can see in the pic below the left and right electrodes also are showing signs of corrosion at this same connection point. The electrodes themselves for the most part were clean. The center plate showed the most corrosion but still looked serviceable. The left and right plates had some, but less corrosion and both looked fine. The other 10 plates all had a black sort of coating on them but no scaling. None of them had any appreciable corrosion.

1602693417894.png
1602694222638.png
1602694263916.png

Disassembly:
The cell is not hard to disassemble.
The two screws on the top come out and then you can remove the top piece. You don't really need to remove these screws to take apart the unit though. You would need to remove the screws and cap to put it back together, however, as you need to place the orings back on the terminals.

1602692979030.png

You start at the bottom with a plastic piece that can be carefully removed using a screwdriver to pry it apart.

1602692951457.png

Once this piece is off, you can press out the terminals. Mine had some corrosion on the terminals and required a little light tapping and pushing to push them through out of the cap area. Then you carefully pry apart the 2 halves that hold the plates together.

1602693139587.png

Once that is apart, you can remove the 10 plates that are not connected to electrodes (there are 13 plates total). They just slide out. The center and left/right electrodes should also easily come apart at this point.

There isn't much to the salt cell. I am having difficulty understanding the $750 price tag. I am not sure what rare metals used but I can't believe they are that much. If they made a replacement center electrode/plate (or I could repair the one I have) I think this unit would last another 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Great writeup. Thanks. The failure is what I suspected.

:goodjob:

What are the dimensions of the plates?

Here are the dimensions of the Hayward plates for comparison.

T-15 has 13 Titanium Plates, 150 x 63mm. Produces 1.47 lbs/day.

T-9 has 13 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.98 lbs/day.

T-5 has 7 Titanium plate, 150 x 63mm. Produces 0.735 lbs/day.

T-3 has 7 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.53 lbs/day.

I would expect that the amount of chlorine produced per amount of surface area would be similar.

Last edited:
They are exactly 2 1/2" x 4".
OK, the dimensions are the same as a T-9.

So, I would expect that the plates probably come from the same manufacturer and the production is probably the same as a T-9.

What is the plate thickness? Maybe stack all up and measure to make it easier to measure.

What is the plate spacing? Total outside to outside when assembled?

In my opinion, the pins need to be sealed better. In my opinion, it’s a design flaw since so many failures occur due to leaks at the pins.

Maybe some sort of permanent sealant like epoxy.

Note that my earlier estimate of the amperage for the unit was based on the assumption that the plates were the same as a T-15.

Now that we know that they are the same as a T-9, the amperage at 5.5 is more in line with expectations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.