Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Hi Toby! I had one like that. Every lap was hers and every hand was for petting HER! I still miss her.

I get out of school June 10. I am ready but I will be ready to be back with the kids within 3 weeks. I do enjoy my job (most days LOL)

I LOVE the tiles! Please tell me you will curve it like you did on the shelf. That looks so neat!

Kim

Oh my goodness Suz! I have no words - they are absolutely awesome. Love all the different colors and they will complement each other so well. An wow they will shine in the sun... I wish I could put that tile on my vinyl pool! But then I would never swim just stare [emoji1][emoji1][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suz, they're beautiful !!! Especially laid out on your sun deck !! WOW !! They really POP!! I've been lurking around on these forums. Learning a lot thanks to you and others ! So happy to hear everyone here is safe from the storm ! You guys are so right...we are blessed to have come through safely fro such terrible weather ! We're waiting to get started on our pool. Have signed the contract but our poor pb is backed up due to the rain. With all the devastation around us, I promised I'd try to be patient and just count my blessings ! In the meantime I'll keep on lurking and soak up all this pool knowledge !
Thanks for all the time you give to help us newbies !! Gina

Hi Toby! I had one like that. Every lap was hers and every hand was for petting HER! I still miss her.

I get out of school June 10. I am ready but I will be ready to be back with the kids within 3 weeks. I do enjoy my job (most days LOL)

I LOVE the tiles! Please tell me you will curve it like you did on the shelf. That looks so neat!

Kim

I know what you mean about missing cats. It takes me forever to stop missing them. Each time I lose one, I say never again - can't stand the hurt. Then I can't stand not having a cat. We usually have at least 3. It just seems to be a good number for us. Right now we have 3 indoor kitties and 1 outdoor (Killer). My son and I get such a kick out of each one - such individuals. We never run out of things to talk about with these clowns around!

That's great you enjoy your job. By the time I retired, I hated it. Isn't that awful, to hate your job? It wasn't the kids (usually); it was their parents and the administration. I was putting in 70-80 hour weeks, and they kept demanding more from us. I hope it's better in FL.

I LOVE these tiles- maybe even more than the Peacock ones coming next week (the main glass tiles!). I just love the variety! That's why I gave in and ordered them at the last minute. I knew I'd always regret it if I didn't get them. Yes, they will scallop like that on the sun shelf - wasn't my idea; they come that way. Each strip of about 10 pieces is on a mesh backing, and they're hot glued (I think) to the backing in a scallop pattern. The glass designer explained they're to mimic shells washing up on a beach (hence the name Shell Beach). He said he thought of it one day remembering his beach days as a boy and collecting shells; he loved the way they washed in a wave pattern on the sand. I thought it was an ingenious idea for using scrap pieces of glass - and make a profit. It would be such a shame to throw away such lovely bits and pieces. I don't know for sure that they are all leftovers. I want more, more, more! I've been told here at home that I have enough!!! But while I do yoga on the sun shelf, I can distract myself by looking at each piece. I don't think I'll ever get tired of them.

Take care! Suz and Toby.

I have been teaching Kdg. for 30 years! I THINK I have 3 or so more years in me. Like you the kids are not a problem. It is the parents and the State that keeps trying to change things all of the time.

I have been teaching at the same very rural school all 30 years. I have been teaching kids of kids for a while. I tend to teach whole families LOL. Most of my kids meet me as soon as they were born!

We take in older cats and let them live out their life in the lap of luxury with lots of good food, warm or cool beds depending on what they want, ect. We bought the house/property with the cats in mind!

Those tiles------they are SO you! Fun and neat!

Kim

Oh my goodness Suz! I have no words - they are absolutely awesome. Love all the different colors and they will complement each other so well. An wow they will shine in the sun... I wish I could put that tile on my vinyl pool! But then I would never swim just stare [emoji1][emoji1][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Karyn! I appreciate that coming from you who has that gorgeous shaped pool I love. Now it looks even better with the vermiculite! Well, you could put the glass pieces on your vinyl, but they might make holes. I've heard that's not good for vinyl, right?!! :-?

And you're so right about staring at the tile pieces! We'll see how much yoga I actually get done!! :roll:

I just heard my Marine (retired) son may come home for a visit! He lives in Oregon now. I'm so excited, although a part of me wishes he would wait until the pool is finished. But I'll take a visit from him any time. I bring this up now, because of the talk of yoga, etc. As soon as he and I hung up, I told myself I've got to get back to my exercises even if the pool isn't ready. When he came down last fall, I gained way too many pounds! It took me until January to get rid of them! I won't do that this time with a pool in the near future!!!

Take care! Suz.

Thank you everyone for the compliments! Getting the tile makes being patient a little bit harder. Like everyone is saying, we're all grateful for our safety and that we haven't suffered serious property damage. I couldn't believe it when I looked at my weather app this morning. Only 20% chance of rain. In Houston, that USUALLY means no rain. It will be wonderful to have a break from it. I'm hoping all pools are on track - at least soon! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I gotta make my rounds Suzy :)

Just checking in to read up and enjoy the conversations. This is fun stuff!!!

Great to hear from you, Paris! How are you guys up in Montgomery? I think ya'll had a lot more rain and storms than we did in Cypress. How long before the thinset has cured on the glass tile? I just heard from Brian that my Peacock order will ship tomorrow. It was to ship last week, but they were behind in production. It's worth waiting for! Right before I checked TFP, I sent Brian an email thanking him for everything. I told him how gorgeous your Blue Steel is - even with tape still on it!

What is next on your pool? Is all the stonework completed? Will you have the decking put in before the Sheen?

Today is the first day to have the tile guys back since the flooding, and only one of them made it today. We still have a lot of coping and split face work to be finished. Also, I haven't nailed down my paver guy, yet. Kelly tells me our guy is too expensive. I really want to use him since he did our neighbor's decking, but Kelly says he can have travertine put in for me for only about a $1sf more than the pavers. I'm really torn. Travertine is so much cooler on the feet and beautiful, yet pavers don't require the sealing. I'm in a holding pattern on all of that. Kelly said the deck could be started week after next. That should give the glass tile thinset time to cure. Then Sheen!!!

Thanks for checking in! Keep dry and safe! Suzy. :wave:

A long time.... My own doing, because I'm using glass tile. I heard today it will be shipped tomorrow. Five to seven business days for delivery. Then schedule installation; then 3 weeks for the thinset to cure. Aughhhhh.

I'm meeting with our landscaper tomorrow. He's really pushing for Belgard pavers, and my family wants Travertine. Pros and cons with both. Any thoughts?

I just checked the weather forecast - doesn't look good for the weekend. More delays! When do you guys move? Take care. Suz.

The heat of the Belgard pavers is a big drawback. I can live with it, but my son goes barefoot everywhere he can. The plan is for this to be his home and pool, someday. I have to consider my budget, but I try to honor his wishes when possible. (he rarely asks for anything...)

Cost and maintenance are the drawbacks on Travertine. We'll have only about 750 sf of deck, so I want to stay with one decking material.

I don't think either will be a bad decision - that's why it's tricky! But not a bad decision to have, right?! Suz.

Quick thought, as he gets older, he may be less interested in going barefoot (does skin get more fragile with age?). And also as he gets older his interest in sealing it regularly may not be what it is now. Of course he could have someone else do it too.

Quick thought, as he gets older, he may be less interested in going barefoot (does skin get more fragile with age?). And also as he gets older his interest in sealing it regularly may not be what it is now. Of course he could have someone else do it too.

Thanks Bmore! I think he will be 90 and still going barefoot! I haven't broken him of it in 30 years!! LOL! **

Your best point in our case is the waning interest in sealing the travertine. I can't say he has a strong interest now. OK, I think you just pushed me over the halfway mark to pavers!!

** I was the same way - hated all kinds of shoes. My dad finally broke me of the habit when I was in high school. He told me, "One of these days, you're going to step in somebody's spit." I haven't gone barefoot since!!!

Thanks again! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.