Always meant to ask this....is there any way to determine what a pH reading is that's obviously above 8 (using Taylor K-2006)?

Anthony, I totally thought you would be nearly done with your conversion by now. I did mine last spring and would never advise anyone to begin the Bacquacil regimen. But, to each his own, right? Anyway, you are making certain that there will always be a "Bacquacil Conversion" thread on TFP. Take care and good luck on your never-ending story. :giggle: Have a great summer!

So you're actually adding stuff 3-4 times a week. I'm only doing twice, on the average.
Says the guy that added things 3 times yesterday? :p

Seriously though, you don't add acid regularly? And my point was less how often I add but fewer total things I'm adding. Two on a regular basis, and how with a SWCG that goes to one thing and one thing only: Acid additions (except CYA at the start of the year).

No....just using the color readings on the Taylor test tube.
And using the Taylor instructions for figuring out how much acid/washing soda to add? Or just "this looks like enough"?

Either way...you should really use PoolMath. It calculates the affect of many things for pH adjustments, things that cannot be done with the Taylor kit. And it's pretty darn close most of the time.

Hey...you gotta admit...this place wouldn't be quite the same without me, yes? 😉
You are more then welcome to hand around after you have a chlorine pool. ;)

@anthonypool89 I have been watching your fun since last summer, since I too have had headaches with baquacil by summers end. I have been convinced enough to become a convert. buying my first jugs of chlorine tomorrow plus some other items. I have been trying to get my brain to learn the new language of Chlorine system. On my side, I quit putting in baquacil products about mid to late August 2020, tossing in some powder non-chlorine shock to help kill off some of the Crud in the pool. I have a sand filter with about 2 yr old sand which will become sacrificial as I vacuum waste and filter while cleaning the normal winter debris out. I plan to then dump the sand, swap out the filter with a DE, probably the Hayward EC65... After the conversion and stablization, I plan to move forward to a SWG system of some kind.

Head is 'swimming' with all that needs done on top of learnin a two or thing...

Last edited:
So you're actually adding stuff 3-4 times a week. I'm only doing twice, on the average.
I'm doing it nunce... I sure like my SWG.. just rubbing it in. ;)

Not yet....let's see how this season plays out. I'm (cautiously) optimistic

Hey...you gotta admit...this place wouldn't be quite the same without me, yes? 😉

Hi all, Yo Tony.. you know we must love you for all the ribbing you get! I am going to start a GoFundMe page to hire a water tanker bomber that will drop 20,000 gallons of water with a pH of 7.6, salinity of 3400ppm, Alk of 80 and a starting FC of 7ppm with a temp of oh, say 80 degrees at a specified location in Berks County, PA.. Just search for "Baqua Intervention".

Last edited:
My cover is just the safety cover. During the spring clean and nightcrawler roundup, I end up irrigating the back yard (and my super nice neighbors) with a few thousand gallons of pool water. It is how I usually get fresh water into my pool...

I am going to start a GoFundMe page to hire a water tanker bomber that will drop 20,000 gallons of water with a pH of 7.6, salinity of 3400ppm, Alk of 80 and a starting FC of 7ppm with a temp of oh, say 80 degrees at a specified location in Berks County, PA.. Just search for "Baqua Intervention".
LOL good one! 😁 Just don't drop it on my house instead. There's also a small lake near our property - so try to avoid that too - the local anglers who might be out in their kayaks and fishing boats for a quiet afternoon might not appreciate the gigantic sploosh that would result.

Last edited:
Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I end up irrigating the back yard
My yard below the pool has a pretty good slope to it, so when I had the pool drained back in '14 prior to renovation, the bulk of the water ran down along my forsythia hedge. That sucker grew like gangbusters that summer - could hardly reach the top of it with my 10' step ladder when it came time to trim.

Reactions: Matt_PEBKAC_Oh
Just search for "Baqua Intervention".
It's going to be the premier episode of a new show from the people who brought you Hoarders.

All of your friends, family and loved ones will gather around and have a serious discussion about how you don't have to keep living like this.

Every week, a new episode, a new story.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you will be amazed.

And, in the end, your faith in humanity will be restored.

a serious discussion about how you don't have to keep living like this.
some of them probably been talking about that for years already....not about the pool...but I'll bet all my travails with the '95 Riviera (on its 3rd engine...LONG story) and let's not forget the '72 Cub Cadet - just replaced the engine in that the other year. I do not (yet) own any vehicles manufactured in the 21st century. I seem to have a predilection for hanging on to old things...cars, stereo equipment, tractors, guitars, antiquated pool methods and equipment....

I lied...not intentionally....just bought a new Deere tractor two years ago....other than that the old Cub was the ONLY tractor I've ever owned (since '81) and still ticking. 'They don't make 'em like that anymore'. Once Cub Cadet got taken over by MTD, it wasn't the same product. Still have our first washing machine too...'81 Maytag.

The BIG question is...how many here will still be reading my postings by the end of the season? Now THAT would be worthy of some sort of contest. Winner gets a free case of baqua oxidizer.

LOL good one! 😁 Just don't drop it on my house instead. There's also a small lake near our property - so try to avoid that too - the local anglers who might be out in their kayaks and fishing boats for a quiet afternoon might not appreciate the gigantic sploosh that would result.
I got a screen shot of your Avatar.. so we know what the target looks like. The pilot is pretty good, from what I hear.. they call him one-eyed-Jack, because his other unit got shot off in 'Nam..."Ya don't need depth perception from 40,000 ft" he used to say with a crackily grin. Last I heard he was piloting ships through the Suez.

I’m so confused. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, so I visited the Bacqua forum. So, it appears to be a lot more work, a lot more money, and a lot of chemicals pushing and pulling at each other?

I don’t get it. Why do it?

Baquacil was pushed by my pool installer since they were a distributor. It actually was a very comfortable and mostly easy to maintain. Expensive even from the start, but ignorance of the first pool ownership didnt know the difference.

The past 3 to 4 seasons have gone south. Starts out clear and perfect but a few months in, starts to get cloudy and overnight, its so cloudy you have trouble seeing the bottom. It may take a week to get the white mold out, tearing everything down including the sand filter, pool light and lines. White mold grows everywhere.
First couple of seasons, this happened my pool store / installer was worthless except for taking my money. After 2018 or 2019 season, I won't buy a rubber ducky there let alone any advice or chems. After 15 years, I was left in a boat without a paddle on a certain creek.

I found this site in 2018 and was able to keep nursing the the baquacil system along but I'm done. Converting this season, after stable, going SWG and DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.