Always meant to ask this....is there any way to determine what a pH reading is that's obviously above 8 (using Taylor K-2006)?

Hate to break it to you guys, but the term 'cost effective' wasn't coined until 1988. Sure that was one year before AnthonyPool got his, but the filter design was a couple of years old already. It predated 'cost effective' and will out live us all. Ooooooooooooooooooh........ there's an idea !!!!!! An Urn.

(No time soon. Waaaaay in the future:))

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW
So here it is...the Apollo VA-52:
OR...you could play dominoes with the grids once they're off....I've replaced all the grids over the past few years - actually bought a whole extra assembly so as to not take the pool out of service while one set is soaking in a bucket with filter cleaner. My filter tank looks alot better than this guy's.

• Wow
Reactions: Newdude
That would be pretty cool actually! Or maybe sell the tank on eBay, local pickup only of course - betcha somebody would buy it for some obscure purpose - similar to guys that buy a piano, then destroy it and hang the harp on the wall, etc. ...
You could send it to the Old Filter's Home.. Then you could make a bunt cake and visit it every Sunday!
Old Woman GIF by memecandy

... I'm really intrigued by SWG - and postings from last year show that. Upon conversion, I'd wait a bit (as suggested here...get used to straight chlorine first) but then I think I'd really like SWG. I hear all good things about it. As I think I mentioned, had talked to my pool tech who has done a good bit of work for me and he said he could take care of adding whatever necessary equipment.
Get used to the chlorine first? an SWG is already chlorine.. That it like saying I want to do it the hard way first so I can really appreciate the easy way... Do you go to the dentist and say.. "Hey Doc, no Novocaine for the first 30 min.. then I can really appreciate it for the rest of the appointment!"... Or my wife that thought Natural was the way to go..That lasted for all of 10 minutes, and for the other 3 kids we ordered the pain-killer-cocktail right after passing the Popsicle stick test.

As my Daddy used to say.. "There is a difference between taking the road less traveled and just being friggin' lost."

"Hey Doc, no Novocaine for the first 30 min.
My brother always asks to not be given novocaine. He'd rather just deal with it rather than the effects of the novocaine. To each his own.

OK... I think it might be time for a moderator to close the thread? I think it has run its course. This is not even the baqua forum, but rather the purpose of the thread was merely to ask a pH question.

Get used to the chlorine first? an SWG is already chlorine.. That it like saying I want to do it the hard way first so I can really appreciate the easy way
It was my idea that was threefold. First it would erase any of his old concerns that were held onto for decades about chlorine. Secondly it would teach him to manually treat if there was ever a problem with the SWG. Third, to appease his blind investment concerns, he could pull the plug at much less cost if his fears proved true (which we all KNOW and trust won’t be the case, but he is on the fence so he doesn’t).

*thoughts and opinions of Newdude are expressly his own and not those, or endorsed by the parent company Newdudecorp. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting or telling him to shut the flocculant up*.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jseyfert3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
no goof.... its the dreaded thread drift . We all like talking about about whatever... did you get the answer to your pH questions amoungst the other mish mash. I know I made a few notes about how to test at high pH's with just pool grade testers without having to pull out my college chem books....(eesh, no novacaine)

did you get the answer to your pH questions
Sure...the answer is to use pool math to calculate exactly how much pH decreaser or increaser is needed. That said, however, I assume the adjustment amounts are geared to adding whatever non-pool-store products are needed. Otherwise, not sure the calibrations would be the same (when using pool store formulations). I think I'm good with just knowing that darker than 8 is not where any of us want to be. I suspect this season, with having discontinued the aqua finesse tablets, that I won't have the pH bounce of recent years. During the off season is a bit more of a crapshoot cause surely swirling the water around with a paddle and only 1/4 of the cover off is obviously not like running the circulation system. So the reading I get is probably not all that accurate. I at least get some peace of mind to be monitoring as best I can between October and April.

. I think I'm good with just knowing that darker than 8 is not where any of us want to be. I
Yup. Perfect !!! 8 or more needs adjusting. The only downfall is that you can’t know it’s an 8.6 and when you adjust downward from 8, you will be above target still. Which is where the testing to prove the addition comes in. (After pump mixing for 20 min). Still 8+ ? Hit it again. Ahhhhh. Ok it worked this time.

As soon as it’s back in range you will know.

Reactions: anthonypool89
That said, however, I assume the adjustment amounts are geared to adding whatever non-pool-store products are needed. Otherwise, not sure the calibrations would be the same (when using pool store formulations).
Pool store and non-pool store products are almost certainly going to be exactly the same. If you look on pool store package of Alkalinity Increaser and it says it's sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate then that's the same thing as baking soda from any grocery store and will work exactly the same way for the same amounts.

That said, however, I assume the adjustment amounts are geared to adding whatever non-pool-store products are needed. Otherwise, not sure the calibrations would be the same (when using pool store formulations).
Formulations as in Chemicals or as in calculations? For Calculations use the Pool Math app here... for Chemicals, they are likely the same.. they are more expensive at pool stores because it says "For pools" on the package. Its Marketing. Otherwise stay away from anything that is a blend of stuff.. most of the the time its a blend of some kind of copper coated algaecide that will turn you and yours blue. Just stay with the basics... Ya know.. I've been hanging here for going on a decade.. and I still reference this stuff:

If you look on pool store package of Alkalinity Increaser and it says it's sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate then that's the same thing as baking soda from any grocery store and will work exactly the same way for the same amounts.
Mark and J.....thanks. I didn't know if it would be exactly the same amounts. The instructions on many of the pool store containers are rather nebulous anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.