All new equipment - Need advice on wiring the system?

eikond

May 5, 2021
Michigan
Hey all! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I've got a small inground pool ~ 13k gallons. I decided to discard all the old equipment and start fresh with a new system.
1.) Pentair superflo VS 1.5 hp pump
2.) Pentair Clean and Clear RP 150 sq ft cartridge filter
3.) Hayward H Series 200k BTU heater
4.) Hayward Aquarite salt chlorinator

I think I have a good grasp on how to plumb the system, so I'm not too worried about that aspect. (yes I will have a check valve between heater and salt, and also a sacrificial anode).

What I'm struggling to figure out is how to wire the system.
I have a dual 20 amp breaker in my panel in the basement. So that is 230 volt power. (Though the pump, heater and salt can all run either 115 or 230).
My old system had a timer with wire running to pump and then from pump to heater. So it was all in series.

Do I wire the new system in series as well?

The pump has a built in timer. I think it can run 24 hours a day (mostly at lowest speed). Can the heater and salt system get power 24 hours as well?
Do I need an intermatic timer at all?

Is there a reasonably priced automation system that will control all of this?

I love saving money by doing things like this myself.. but unlike nearly every other project I've done, it seems like there is NOT a lot of good info on the internet for wiring/controlling pool systems.

E,

There is zero reason to add a check valve between the heater and a SWCG.. It is not the same as the check valve that is required between a puck feeder and a heater.. the check valve prevents very acid water from leaking from the puck feeder into the heater.. When the SWCG is off, it is off and there is nothing left than can damage the heater.

Your old system was not wired in series.. 120 or 240 volt wiring is never in series.. It might have looked to you as being in series, but it was not.

The pump should get constant AC power and the cell and heater can get constant power if you want... The cell should not get constant power if the pump is not running 24/7.

I personally like the ability to shut off everything right at the equipment pad. I'd install a timer at the pad and then wire everything from load side of the timer.. I'd run an individual "whip" connection between the timer box and each unit. One for the pump, one for the SWCG's control box, and one to the heater. Initially you could have the timer run 24/7, but later, if you decided to run the pump less, you can use the timer to control the SWCG's run time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Deb Driesen
Jim, Thank you so much for your quick reply and great info.

It really did appear to be wired in series, but it's old news and no longer relevant. I'll take your word for it that the new equipment shouldn't be wired in series.
So I can buy a single circuit intermatic timer and then connect three sets of wires to the Load side and then out to each piece. This seems simple enough. That gives me an easy shutoff if I need to service anything and a timer if i decide not to run 24/7.. I like this setup. Seems pretty easy.

Thank you very much!

ajw.. Thank you for the link. I read through it.. great info included!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.