User activation of Hayward Tristar VS Pump for spa jets

Castle Hill

Jan 15, 2024
Vermont
We upgraded our spa jet pump as the previous VS pump was controlled via a microdrive unit and frequently lost prime, requiring us to manually turn up the speed to reestablish prime whenever guests complained. The pump was activated via a low voltage 15-minute spring wound timer switch by the guests.

Our supplier recommended the Hayward Tristar 1.85 THP VS pump as a replacement. We installed it and the self priming feature upon startup has solved our loss of prime issues, however I cannot figure out a way for it to be guest activated only via the low voltage spring wound timer switch despite wiring it as the remote stop switch according to the diagram in section 5.5 of the manual.

Until we can figure this out, I have the built in pump timer configured to simply run the jets full time (at 75% of max flow) during open hours. (There is a separate single speed primary pump that services the filtration system, heater and salt water chlorine generator.)

I'd like to avoid having to install any type of automation control systems, like Compool, for such a simple setup. Hayward Tech support was communicative for a few back and forth emails, confirming via photo that I had the wiring correct, and then went silent on me during the holidays and has stopped responding. I am deaf, so calling them is not an option.

Appreciate any insight anyone has.

We upgraded our spa jet pump as the previous VS pump was controlled via a microdrive unit and frequently lost prime, requiring us to manually turn up the speed to reestablish prime whenever guests complained. The pump was activated via a low voltage 15-minute spring wound timer switch by the guests.

Our supplier recommended the Hayward Tristar 1.85 THP VS pump as a replacement. We installed it and the self priming feature upon startup has solved our loss of prime issues, however I cannot figure out a way for it to be guest activated only via the low voltage spring wound timer switch despite wiring it as the remote stop switch according to the diagram in section 5.5 of the manual.

Until we can figure this out, I have the built in pump timer configured to simply run the jets full time (at 75% of max flow) during open hours. (There is a separate single speed primary pump that services the filtration system, heater and salt water chlorine generator.)

I'd like to avoid having to install any type of automation control systems, like Compool, for such a simple setup. Hayward Tech support was communicative for a few back and forth emails, confirming via photo that I had the wiring correct, and then went silent on me during the holidays and has stopped responding. I am deaf, so calling them is not an option.

Appreciate any insight anyone has.
Page 16, 5.3, replace the "relay" (an electrically actuated switch) with the spring-wound timer. You should be able to use the +12V and COM terminals on the RS485 connector as your power supply. You will only need one of the speeds to be selected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.