A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Fire, yes there are some holes on the back of the fire pit. They look like a small insect bored into them! But the installers just left them open, no grout. I haven't noticed any on the columns though. The holes are not near the waterline so maybe that makes a difference.

Fire, yes there are some holes on the back of the fire pit. They look like a small insect bored into them! But the installers just left them open, no grout. I haven't noticed any on the columns though. The holes are not near the waterline so maybe that makes a difference.

Ok, I may ask our PB about them. The tile/coping crew need to come back to finish anyway. And I think they still need to add grout to the seams on the split face. I'll post photos on my build of the holes/crack.

Hi Umm! Glad you stopped by! I LOVE my Blue Smurf! The beads give it that extra blue sparkly tint on the steps and shallow areas and the shells really sparkle, too.

If I had to choose between shells and beads, though, I'd pick shells. But don't tell my DH! Shells were included and we paid extra (not a significant amount though) for the beads.

- - - Updated - - -

It is possible that I didn't have as many beads added as you did.

Hi Umm! Glad you stopped by! I LOVE my Blue Smurf! The beads give it that extra blue sparkly tint on the steps and shallow areas and the shells really sparkle, too.

If I had to choose between shells and beads, though, I'd pick shells. But don't tell my DH! Shells were included and we paid extra (not a significant amount though) for the beads.

- - - Updated - - -

It is possible that I didn't have as many beads added as you did.

That is good to know! If I ever have to refinish I might have to decide to keep the beads or not. It looks from your photos (I only saw the finish photos with the smurf in them) you probably have the same amount of beads that I do. I like more of a subtle look so I am not sure if the shells would be too flashy for me. I am also really interested to see how they hold up over time since they are more of a natural product and there are disclaimers for them.

I would like to keep some pool chemicals on hand, even though my contract has a pool service for another few weeks. In case of a problem, I don't want to have to make a run to Lowes, HD or Leslies to get them. So how much of what chemicals should I keep on hand? Will I need salt? The pool service added an additional 40 lbs on Monday. When I tested the water that morning before the PS came, the FC level was zero!

I can't wait to start doing the chemicals myself. Just a few more weeks to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was in the pool this afternoon and noticed that the water level seemed a bit low, so I decided to turn on the fill pipe and let it run for a bit while I was outside. No, I didn't let it overflow! I let it run for about 10 minutes until it looked about at right level. This was maybe an hour ago. Now it's pouring down rain! And I'm sure the overflow drain is hard at work!

Question, should I turn the pump off during a thunderstorm?

I would like to keep some pool chemicals on hand, even though my contract has a pool service for another few weeks. In case of a problem, I don't want to have to make a run to Lowes, HD or Leslies to get them. So how much of what chemicals should I keep on hand? Will I need salt? The pool service added an additional 40 lbs on Monday. When I tested the water that morning before the PS came, the FC level was zero!

I can't wait to start doing the chemicals myself. Just a few more weeks to go!

Sorry I am just now seeing this.

I would have a gallon of muriatic acid on hand (if the place you buy it from sells it in twin packs you can get that as it does not go bad). Have you sourced your chlorine/bleach for when you need it to boost your FC or when it gets cold? I would have a gallon on hand at all times for just in case.

That is ALL I use in my pool! I did buy the other stuff on the "recommended chemicals" page but have NOT used them.

LOL on your overfill working AFTER you added the water. I guess adding water to your pool is like washing your car!

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim! So i am planning on testing in the morning after this gully washer tonight. If my FC is low, I add bleach. And if my salt is too low from all the rain, I should add more, correct? I know Pool Math will tell me.

Look close at your PH also. See what the rain did to it. I have found that a heavy rain pushes my PH up.......think major aerating.

You are doing an awesome job........looks like you are getting it!

Are you loving having a pool? How often does hubby get in?

:hug:

Kim:cat:

Kim, I didn't get a chance to test til this afternoon. Here are my numbers, but it is fixin' to pour down rain again, so I hesitate to do anything since the chems will just wash out the overflow.

FC 0
CH 300
TA 110
CYA 50
pH 8.2
Salt 3100 (was 3300 before rain)

According to Pool Math, I should add:
83oz of 6% bleach to raise FC to 4
8.3 oz muriatic acid (Baume'-not sure what that is) to lower TA to 70
59 oz calcium chloride to raise CH to 350
28 oz stabilizer to raise CYA to 70
17lbs salt (to raise to 3300)

So I'm thinking I should just wait until after it stops raining and retest, then add chems. The pool service will probably be here tomorrow so should I just let them handle it?

- - - Updated - - -

Hubby loves the pool...especially after working in the yard! Instant cool off!

Marla, love the pool! What kind of coping is that? I was looking at flagstone, but I've been told the edge is rough. I have 3 girly that will be climbing out from everywhere, so I'm trying to decide on what to do for coping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I look at it, both acid and bleach are heavier than water. The added chemicals will sink and "bloom" out along the bottom. Rain will land on the surface and drain off on the surface. I don't see a lot of co-mingling happening in the greater volume, unless you're pulling in water from your skimmer. Maybe just use the drains to feed the pump . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.