A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Marla you need to get some FC in. Go out as soon as it stops raining and add enough to get your FC up to your max level for you CYA level.

I would work on the PH as well. Those are the two most important for you pool right now.

Wait 15 mins with the pump running to add each.

Kim:cat:

I would like to keep some pool chemicals on hand, even though my contract has a pool service for another few weeks. In case of a problem, I don't want to have to make a run to Lowes, HD or Leslies to get them. So how much of what chemicals should I keep on hand? Will I need salt? The pool service added an additional 40 lbs on Monday. When I tested the water that morning before the PS came, the FC level was zero!

I can't wait to start doing the chemicals myself. Just a few more weeks to go!

Hey Marla! I'm surfing on TFP since it is pouring here! UGH!! I like what Kim suggested for chemicals and thought I would add a few for our SWG and plaster systems. So far this is what I've found I like to keep on hand. And even though you have a pool service for a few more weeks, your time will get here quickly! It won't hurt to go ahead and have a few things.

All the rain we've been getting lately, means adding more chems than usual....... Amounts depend on your pool - it won't take long to see what you want to have more of on hand. Most of this stuff has a good shelf life.

Bleach: I keep 2-3 jugs on hand - I usually go to my local WalMart Neighborhood Market. I won't need as much bleach around with the cell back up with the warmer water. I still like it to boost a little after all these rains. If I worry about the shelf life of bleach, we just put it in the A/C drain lines in the attic to keep our plumbing happy. Then I buy more fresh bleach for the pool.

Muratic Acid: I buy the case of 4 from TexSun. My pool just LOVES her MA!!!! And the rains make her crave it even more.

Calcium increaser: My girl also likes plenty of this. I guess my plaster is still soaking it up. Also, my tap water has very low levels of CH, so I don't replenish when I need to add water to the pool. You may have a higher level of CH in your tap water. And again..... the rains dilute it. TexSun Pools has this, but I find it about the same cost and even easier to order it from Amazon. I keep one tub on hand and reorder when it's empty so I have it when I need it. Amazon.com : Pool Mate 1-2825 Calcium Increaser for Swimming Pools, 25-Pound : Patio, Lawn Garden

Stabilizer and Conditioner: (for CYA) Patrick got me started on this brand, and I've stuck with it. I have found it at WM, HD, and Amazon all for about the same cost. So..... if I'm out and about, I'll pick it up. If not, then I order it from Amazon. I have not seen this brand at TexSun pools, so I hesitate to buy it not knowing for sure what is really in it! With the rains, I've been adding a lot of CYA. So I keep 2-3 of these on hand at a time. Amazon.com: Arch Chemical 61316 HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner, 4-Pound (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn Garden

Salt: I've added 2 40# bags so far this spring. I didn't have to add any after my pool's SWG was started up the end of August. But I don't think we had that much rain in the fall. So I'm not sure what to suggest to keep on hand. Until I get better at this, I'm not keeping any on hand - not sure if it will get soggy or degrade in our humidity. TexSun has the kind my pool guy recommended. He likes it, because he says it dissolves better than most. So when I need it, I'll just pick it up at the nearby TexSun. So far, Amazon is WAY too expensive even for my lazy self. I'm giving you the Amazon link, just so you have the picture and name of the product. TexSun had it on sale in April for $6 a 40# bag. I think a couple of weeks ago, it was off sale for about $12. Amazon.com : AquaSalt Swimming Pool and Spa Chlorine Generator Salt - 40 Pounds : Patio, Lawn Garden The Amazon picture must be a b/w photo, cuz in reality, it is a white bag with an aqua/blue printing.

This is all I can think of right now. Do you know about the restaurant hair nets to use a skimmer socks? I LOVE those - found out about them from TFP. They're so cheap, I never try to reuse them. No cleaning the skimmer basket, just toss the 'sock' and throw away. I can give you that link if you need it.

I was in the pool this afternoon and noticed that the water level seemed a bit low, so I decided to turn on the fill pipe and let it run for a bit while I was outside. No, I didn't let it overflow! I let it run for about 10 minutes until it looked about at right level. This was maybe an hour ago. Now it's pouring down rain! And I'm sure the overflow drain is hard at work!

Question, should I turn the pump off during a thunderstorm?

I had to chuckle. I did the exact same thing the day before our big floods. Filled the pool and then watched all that well-balanced water go down the street with our garbage can! Lol!! Again, our pool was low on Friday, but I held off. Thank goodness, it's now over the overflow drain (but not up and over the coping like in April). I'll be more careful from now on!

This is probably too late, but I would definitely add bleach if my FC was at zero - even with rains coming. And maybe MA, too. This afternoon, my #'s all looked good except for CYA (60). But I'm going to hold off a day or so and see if more rain is coming.

That's a good question about running the pumps during a thunderstorm. I had not thought about that, but it might be like leaving your computer, A/C, or refrigerator plugged in with power going out. In my area/neighborhood, our power goes out often and then blurps back on and off several times when going out and when coming back on. Very hard on appliances. So, I guess I'll be at least turning off the pump, but wonder if I should also unplug it???? and how to do that????

Ahhhhh...... soon I'll get to ask YOU questions and advice!!!!! At the very least, we can compare notes, right?!

Take care,
Suz

Oh Marla!!! Your pool is dreamy!!! I love everything about it. I'm definitely a HUGE Blue Surf fan - so perfect with your tiles! I would have to call your pool "Dream Girl"! The sweetgums are fabulous there! I'm going to have to look into those - just not sure where to put them, but there's always room for 'one more plant', right?!!!

Congrats, again!
Suz

Here are pics with the Sweetgums in the back. This was taken at about 10:15 -pool still shady.

Dolphin in action.

Thanks for all the advice and the links! I have some bleach on hand so I will get that into the pool. You pour it in front of a return, correct?

Suz, yes, I do have those hairnets for skimmer socks. Used the link from Amazon I found here on TFP!

Thanks for all the advice and the links! I have some bleach on hand so I will get that into the pool. You pour it in front of a return, correct?

Suz, yes, I do have those hairnets for skimmer socks. Used the link from Amazon I found here on TFP!

Yes, just pour it in in front of a return in the deeper end. Be careful of splatter on your clothes, but that's about all. You need to use more care with the MA. Just in case this isn't new bleach for your pool, hopefully it is Plain Jane bleach that isn't splash-less and is without fragrance and conditioner.

I had almost a whole bottle, 55 oz, of 8.25% bleach so I added the whole bottle. Pool Math says I needed 59 oz to get to an FC of 4 so I think I'll be close. I'll make sure to have the other stuff on hand. Looks like a trip to HD is on the horizon, since we have no WM close by.

It was Concentrated Clorox. No fragrance or conditioner. I googled concentrated and that meant 8.25 instead of 6%.

Suz, I'll let you know how the Sweetgums work out. They are supposed to turn red in the fall and not have any or just a few of the sweet gum balls that drop.

And yesterday, the robot finished cleaning the pool about 2 hrs before the rains hit!

You cannot "unplug" the pump but you can throw the breaker it is on if you want. We do not do it here and our power burps all of the time.

Marla do you love the scuppers? How do they sound when they are on?

Suz! Your girl is STILL drinking MA? WOW!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You cannot "unplug" the pump but you can throw the breaker it is on if you want. We do not do it here and our power burps all of the time.

Marla do you love the scuppers? How do they sound when they are on?

Suz! Your girl is STILL drinking MA? WOW!

Thanks, Kim! Its good to know your power does like ours at times and that your pump is fine. I'll gladly leave it alone.

Yes, my pool likes her regular doses of MA. Maybe it's all the rain. I checked my records, and I'm not adding as much as I did in the beginning. I've ordered boric acid from Duda and will see if that helps. From what I've read, it may or may not. Thank goodness it's no problem maintaining the water balance. I just like keeping stuff on hand.
Suz

Yes, just pour it in in front of a return in the deeper end. Be careful of splatter on your clothes, but that's about all. You need to use more care with the MA. Just in case this isn't new bleach for your pool, hopefully it is Plain Jane bleach that isn't splash-less and is without fragrance and conditioner.

Yup, just ruined a pretty decent Polo shirt :( I was very careful while pouring, but I think I was getting splatter from the raindrops hitting the bleach in my measuring cup

How soon after adding bleach can I add muratic acid? What about adding CH?

I personally wait about 10 minutes then add the other. At least that is when my salt cell wasn't running. I would drop in the MA or Bleach and then clean skimmers, get leaves out, brush, and then add the other chemical. For CH I have only added it once so maybe on a day you don't have to add bleach?

I also don't let rain effect what I am doing. If the pool has a high PH or low FC I add it as soon as I can. A low FC will just get lower with rain so you'll be adding probably the same amount of bleach anyway. Same goes for MA. If you have a salt system it gets way easier. I only have to add MA 2x per week now and the FC pretty much stays constant with the salt. It might drift up or down slowly and I make small adjustments to the percentage but it is good.

I probably need to add more CH now. I have a 50lb bag of deicer I bought on Amazon in the garage that I'll probably add soon. I am surprised how easy the pool is to maintain now. I am glad I went with the SWG.

Thanks Umm. I also have salt but with all the rain the FC really dropped, so I added some bleach. My pH is too high now so I am going to add some acid. Hopefully this will help. I will test again this evening or tomorrow.

What are you trying to keep your FC at with the SWG? I am shooting for 4-5ppm on mine. What is your CYA at?

My pool was at 5.5PPM and after the rain it dropped to 4.5PPM. My CYA is at about 65 or so. I have trouble with my SWG because if I set it at 25% it drops fast and if I set it to 30% it creeps up over time. I am constantly changing my % between 25 and 30% to try to keep it flat.

Hi umm! How long are you running your pump?
Marla, how long are you running yours?

Just when I think things are going along steadily, all the rains start up again!
Suz

I run mine from 6am to midnight I think...

I run it on a high speed (2700rpm) for 3 hours from 9am to 12pm so it can do adequate skimming
The rest of the time it is on a low RPM like 1000.

Not sure if that is right or not but the pool always looks crystal clear so I guess something is right.

My polaris runs from 9a.m. to 11a.m. I don't have a robot yet.

Initially my PB had my pump way overkill. I think it was at 2700rpm from 9 to 3 and then 2000 from 3 to 9. He had my polaris running for something like 5 or 6 hours. I think it is good to run the pump longer when the pool is just starting to get dust and etc... out of the pool quick but after that whatever it takes to keep it clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.