Oil Spill

Jul 1, 2015
dedham
Hi,
This is my first time here and the search wasn't working properly... kept sending me back to google.

Anyway, we are first time pool owners and made a few mistakes, the last one being a huge one and the only person I can point a finger at is me. Background: Coleman above- ground 16ft round 48 inches high pool. Even after all the leveling we did, once filled the pool sank almost 3 inches on one side. We decided to drain it. The hose worked great for 60% of it, but we decided to use a sump to get the rest out. I dropped the sump pump and it cracked. I didn't see it and put the pump in the pool. quickly realizing there was a oil leak I took the pump out. There is about 6 inches of water in the pool and a small shimmer where the pump oil is. What can I do? Desperate for help.

Welcome to TFP. When you use the search box it does take you to google, but all the links are linked back to TFP.

I do not have a answer as far a clearing the oil. If it is floating on the surface, I imagine you might be able to take a bucket and skim the surface to get some out.

I am sure someone will be along shortly with other suggestions.

If there's only about 6 inches remaining, maybe just get another pump and empty the rest of it out? Cut your losses with water as opposed to trying to filter it out or find other tricks for removal. Hard to tell without actually knowing how much oil is in the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Enzymes! Gotta remember that one.

For larger spills, there's also PIG® Absorbent Mat Pad (or PIG® Oil-Only Absorbent Mat Pad if you're sure it's oil).

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

I have an entire box of these and I LOVE THEM!! I used them over the course of a week when my brother and sister-in-law came to visit. My SIL was big into the tanning oil and would grease herself up, then dive in the pool when she got hot and then grease herself again. The PIG Mats worked great at sucking up the oil on the surface (I cut one up and put it in the skimmer to keep the oil from getting into my filter).

Be careful to get the right P/N though. They have mats that absorb water-only and oil-only and it's not always obvious from the title description.

Submersible pumps are usually filled with non-toxic mineral oil. You can contact the manufacturer to inquire about the specific pump.
That's interesting. I didn't realize they had any oil in them at all. I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that they were magnetic drive pumps like pond and fountain pumps. I just looked up the manual on mine and it lists and oil fill plug as a replacement part. Learned something new today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.