20 Pool experts still no answer

I filled with city water
The strange part is my neighbour and me to the pool at the same time same installers assume everything he doesn’t have it and I do it is a black greasy gunk in the skimmer at the water line and in the skimmer there is a rainbow coloured oil floating

The rainbow Color worries me

How long has this been going on? Did you notice it before salt was added?
Where did the copper come from?
What all has been added to your pool since it has been filled?
Do you generally keep your ph that low or lower?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everyone for your replies

Just checked the trough nothing in there completely dry and clean

I opened up my robotic pool cleaner which is only three months old I felt around inside no feeling of oil anywhere

This is been happening since I open the pool this spring I don’t know if it was there when before I put the salt but I know that this oil was in the water the first time we swam

Regarding the copper I have no idea ? Is Dial not supposed to be in there and regarding my pH I have no idea what my normal ranges are is that considered low in these issues cause oil in the water can copper across the oil in the water?

Regarding the copper I have no idea ? Is Dial not supposed to be in there
You really don’t want copper in your water it can cause stains etc.
and regarding my pH I have no idea what my normal ranges are is that considered low in these issues cause oil in the water can copper across the oil in the water?
While a 7.2 ph is acceptable, lower ph than that for extended periods of time is not & can cause erosion in your heater putting copper into the water. Chronically Low ph can also break down seals & orings in your equipment -
Ph should be tested regularly (every few days) along with free chlorine & other parameters .
FC/CYA Levels
To get a handle on what is going on with your pool you need to be regularly testing with your own drop based test kit (taylor k2006 salt/ tf100/pro salt.
Is the spin touch yours or a service person’s?

Those little giant pumps have oil in them. See the last line in the photo from the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.png
    IMG_1324.png
    328.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mdragger88
I do it is a black greasy gunk in the skimmer at the water line

We had this exact thing in our pool. It turned out to be excess sunscreen/body oil.

Usually, it’s just the two of us using the pool and we don’t use such products, so no black greasy gunk appears. But once in awhile we’ll have friends over for a pool party. I noticed a couple of them really slathering on the sunscreen before getting in the pool, and sure enough the next day it was black greasy gunk city (left a light permanent stain on the white steps…grrrr)!

Reactions: Mdragger88
My Australian gold sunscreen stuff leaves obvious oil on the water that has the rainbow look to it in certain light conditions.
I keep my fc elevated for parties/ friends & throw the scum bug or skimmer sock in & it dissapates pretty quickly.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.