Oily water on top of pool cover

May 30, 2015
Stamford, ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, today I have the most strange experience when opening the pool. My trusted little cover pump was working fine and i moved it to a different area of the cover . It quickly stopped working and we were shocked to see the water there was full of oil and giving off this rainbow color on top. The pump is completely stuck. We removed some water with a bucket and it's also full of the oil, and our hands too after manipulating the lump
The water is also full of decomposed pollen and leaves, which is normal. I have no idea how the oil got there.

For background I left the cover on until now because a crew was rebuilding our deck. But I can't imagine they dumped any oil in the cover. However, it is happening near the deck...

I'm now at a loss of how to safely remove the cover with the oil in it. In the picture you can see the rainbow color of the oil on the right side.

Has this happened to anyone ?

Attachments

• PXL_20230617_210713013.jpg
    PXL_20230617_210713013.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 20
When you say 'full of oil', is it a sheen on top or several inches deep of oil?
Realize that many small submersible pumps use oil in their mechanical system. It could be leaking from that if only a small amount.

Well in that case it could be that. It's more of a sheen after looking again , but I didn't imagine such a small pump could cause that. It's a little giant submersible pump bought at Leslie 7 years ago. It now goes for $200!

Would it be safe to buy another pump then and resume the removal of the water ?

Oil will sheen with a few drops. I doubt the volume is more than a fraction of an ounce.

Based on what you describe, I would continue draining.

Those pumps sometimes contain a mineral oil.

It can be maybe up to 8 ounces.

It should be non toxic and mostly safe like baby oil.

There should be a plug on the pump where the oil gets filled.

Most likely, the oil has leaked out.

Just get a new pump.

1687041893681.png

Last edited:

1687045138098.png

If you’re not draining too far away try using a garden hose and start a syphon to a lower point. It takes a bid longer than a pump but still works if you have enough fall and time.

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all, just to confirm my pump is oil-filled and hence the logical explanation is indeed that it leaked (and it also stopped working at the same time ).
Since it's Sunday and I wanted to open the pool I ended up emptying the cover by hand with buckets (and my son's help).

The pump model is the same as posted by James above (5-MSP 505176 Little giant 1/6hp water wizard). Not sure how much oil it contains but enough to stick to the hands, buckets and cover, necessitating many washes to remove, and discarding the cover.
Hopefully that thread could help someone else. Many thanks to all here for pointing me to the right direction and happy swimming.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.