Trying to fix my friend's pool chemistry

cjbdvm

Jun 27, 2015
Oakdale, CT
My friend has a 24' x 5' deep above ground pool. He just opened it up and I told him to let me test the water and then use the BBB method to get things right. He mentioned that last fall he put in some type of pool antifreeze for the winter.

Here are the values:
pH 8.2 (8.3)
TA 380!!!!!
CYA 0
FC 0

Why would the TA be so high? Do I need to lower it with muriatic and then aerate to lower the TA? Is this high of a TA OK and I just leave it alone? Any help greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Friends pool huh? That is what they all say ;)

High TA is the lowest priority thing to worry about. Focus on the CYA and FC. You might want to add 10ppm of FC, and then test the FC and CC about 30 minutes later and report back.

Thanks. It's actually my brother-in-law's pool. I've been using bbb for the past three years and my pool sparkles! I'm trying to pull him over from the dark side! So does the high TA just mean that more acid/base will be required to achieve a change in pH (ie the pool is EXTREMWLY buffered)?

Yes, pH will rise fast and it will require a lot of acid to get TA down. Get it clear first.

Start with 10 ppm FC. Make a lap around the pool with the brush and recheck FC & CC after 30 minutes. If all the FC is gone and CC is high, you have ammonia. If so, break it down with bleach until it retains some FC and then proceed with adding 30 CYA and SLAM at 12 FC. If not, add the CYA and proceed just the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.