Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Chemicals and Salt to SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Chemicals and Salt to SWG

Do you turn the SWG off when adding salt and other chemicals to the pool?
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding Chemicals and Salt to SWG

I do. It will save wear and tear on your cell.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt yes if your level is not in range of what your SWG is looking for until 24 hours later till it dissolves. Other chemicals really don't matter cause you'd be circulating any way probably during a normal run period and would want to be generating FC anyhow.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Call me anal(can I say that here??..lol) but nothing goes into my pool until it gets disolved in my 5 gallon pool bucket first, including salt. The only exception are things that you want to put directly into the skimmer, like DE. Then I broadcast it across the pool. I fill up my bucket, pure in whatever, stir it up with my giant spoon, and then sling it across the pool. It's a good way to protect your SWG from everything.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ffournier View Post
    nothing goes into my pool until it gets disolved in my 5 gallon pool bucket first, including salt.
    It must have taken forever to dissolve ~700 lb of salt in 5 gallon batches.
    16x32 - 11,600 Gallon (44000 liter) PoolWERX Vinyl lined / Steel walled Flatback Kidney
    1.85HP Hayward TriStar - 2" TigerFlex plumbing - Hayward Pro Series S-244T 300LB Sand filter w/ Vari-FLO Valve
    Hayward Aquarite Low Salt SWCG w/ 25,000 gallon TurboCell (T-CELL-LS-CUL)
    Hayward H-Series 200,000BTU Natural Gas Heater (H-200FDN)

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, that is overkill. I just dump the salt onto my kids while they are swimming.

I am really not a fan of the method you are using to add chemicals ... extra handling and still may not mix as well into the pool as the methods we recommend: Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yeah, that is overkill. I just dump the salt onto my kids while they are swimming.
    I find it makes them slippery, and whiney.

I just follow the Manufacturer's instructions.
    How to Add or Remove Salt
    For new plaster pools, wait 10-14 days before adding salt to allow the plaster to cure.
    Turn the circulating pump on and add salt directly into the pool. Brush the salt around
    to speed up the dissolving process
    --do not allow salt to pile up on the bottom of the
    pool. Run the filter pump for 24 hours with the suction coming from the main drain (use
    pool vac if there is no main drain) to allow the salt to evenly disperse throughout the
    pool
    16x32 - 11,600 Gallon (44000 liter) PoolWERX Vinyl lined / Steel walled Flatback Kidney
    1.85HP Hayward TriStar - 2" TigerFlex plumbing - Hayward Pro Series S-244T 300LB Sand filter w/ Vari-FLO Valve
    Hayward Aquarite Low Salt SWCG w/ 25,000 gallon TurboCell (T-CELL-LS-CUL)
    Hayward H-Series 200,000BTU Natural Gas Heater (H-200FDN)

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a cup that I have pre-marked with a 1lb mark. I broad cast the salt in the pool while the pump is running.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rmturner54 View Post
    I use a cup that I have pre-marked with a 1lb mark. I broad cast the salt in the pool while the pump is running.
    Wow ... that seems like way more effort than dumping in 40 pounds at a time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

The most i have had to add at one time is 10 lbs. Now if i was doing a full 40lb bag yes i would probably do it all at once
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

11. Back To Top    #11

40lbs of salt only raises it 683ppm in a 7000 gallon pool. 10 lbs of salt is less than half the margin of error of most salt tests. Bags away!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    40lbs of salt only raises it 683ppm in a 7000 gallon pool. 10 lbs of salt is less than half the margin of error of most salt tests. Bags away!
    I agree with you 100%, but I am only raising my salt 200-300. I dont want to overshoot. Besides this is the first time I have had to add salt since it was built last April. So I am being careful

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ffournier View Post
    Call me anal(can I say that here??..lol) but nothing goes into my pool until it gets disolved in my 5 gallon pool bucket first, including salt. The only exception are things that you want to put directly into the skimmer, like DE. Then I broadcast it across the pool. I fill up my bucket, pure in whatever, stir it up with my giant spoon, and then sling it across the pool. It's a good way to protect your SWG from everything.
    Hehe....I also use the bucket method to add salt.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, there is nothing wrong with being careful!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach