9 years in and, pump & control control system died, Kind Of..

Aug 31, 2014
Orlando/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It's been a long time but I am back and needs some assistance. I have a dead Intermatic (PE653ERC) controller and my Pentair pump started acting up and the display froze up and would not respond to any button press even after disconnecting the control cable and powering off for an hour at the beaker.
Took apart the pump control screen. Dries up the water behind the buttons. No noticable corrosion on the board. I put it back together and reinstalled that night. No luck with it powering up, screen lit up but wasn't displaying anything. 24 hours later turned the breaker back on and I am able to manually control the pump but still just a blank lit up display.

Good news is the pump works but I have no automation. Looking for suggestions on next steps. I would like to replace the automation system but I am at a loss for what to go with. I am all Pentair.

Next item is the pump display. I rarely use it. Should I replace the control module?

I appreciate all suggestions.

Exactly what model number Pentair Intelliflo pump are we discussing?

You can view the 2023 Pentair Pump Parts Catalog here

What automation do you need?

It's been a long time but I am back and needs some assistance. I have a dead Intermatic (PE653ERC) controller and my Pentair pump started acting up and the display froze up and would not respond to any button press even after disconnecting the control cable and powering off for an hour at the beaker.
Took apart the pump control screen. Dries up the water behind the buttons. No noticable corrosion on the board. I put it back together and reinstalled that night. No luck with it powering up, screen lit up but wasn't displaying anything. 24 hours later turned the breaker back on and I am able to manually control the pump but still just a blank lit up display.

Good news is the pump works but I have no automation. Looking for suggestions on next steps. I would like to replace the automation system but I am at a loss for what to go with. I am all Pentair.

Next item is the pump display. I rarely use it. Should I replace the control module?

I appreciate all suggestions.
Ya..that would help wouldn't it. At a min I was to automated my pump schedule, IC40 schedule. It would be nice to add scene settings for my waterfall, 2 jets, fountain and sunseeker color light. I don't have any automation on any valves at this time.

As for the pump it's a intelliflo VS P/N 354603

Are your water feature valves diverter valves that actuators can be placed on?

How many diverter valves do you want automated?

Reactions: Vescogni
@ajw22 thanks for all the feedback.

So.. my 2014 mfg dated Intelilflo VS had some serious water intrusion in the display and after I removed the display I found the serial connector was completely rusted. So dug a little further and the board below the display board had several water spots and the board was starting to peel. After cleaning as much as I could with alcohol and electronic cleaner, I was able to get the pump to start working again at using the display buttons, but actual display was dead. Last few nights the controls on the display stopped working. A quick power cycle at the breaker I could control it again. The actual pump works flawlessly, but I am disappointed the paint no the body of the paint was peeling off so bad. The paint flake to the right was under the control board and wanted to come inside with me since it had all the details about the pump:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, It finally bit the dust and just ordered the Intelliflo3. My current automation only controlled lights and the SWG. sooo...Made the decision to go with the Intelliflo3 and skip out on the IntelliCenter for now.
PXL_20231009_011112916.jpg
It was $1000 bucks more than the VSF model but since I decided not to expand my automation to control the valves for now, no need to spend the money on an automation system. My son has been getting into RC cars and after doing some research I am finding some really cool solutions for controlling a motor. One that I found took a standard rotary motor and make it behave as a servo. If I ever find the spare time I am going to play around with a dumb (cheap) controller with BT/WiFi and maybe test it out on one of my valves. :unsure:

Just curious.. Anybody have this level of peeling on their pumps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.